Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is there any value in power levels over 200mW?

I have a Dragon Laser Spartan (532 nm) and love it. It's supposedly rated at 200 mW. It's not a real burner due to the wide beam, but it seems the long distance divergence is better than my old WL Krypton.

A part of me wants a 750+ mW "blaster", but other than burning holes faster...is there any real advantage to a higher power laser?

"Power" is a matter of personal preference. Same as owning a laser pointer. Some people would LAUGH that you spent several hundreds of dollars on a laser while others are astonished.

Unless it's something you desire, then there is really not any reason to own anything higher than 200mW. You'll have a potentially brighter beam (Depending on how much more power it is, because beam brightness is not linear) and the same goes for the dot. You'll be able to burn stuff a bit faster but thats really it.

If all other factors are the same, in a very broad aspect the higher the output the brighter the dot/beam should appear, the farther the beam will reach, the faster it can burn things, the farther it can burn/pop things and the more things it can burn/etch.
There are different factors that need to be considered such as beam shape, divergence, initial beam size, wavelength and output in mW from model to model.

It's highly subjective, but for most the answer is no. Assuming the same beam specs the difference between 200mW and 750mW will be apparent to the eye, but not at all mind blowing.

If you want to burn things with a handheld laser grab yourself a 2-3W 445nm, or 500mW+ 405nm instead.

It's highly subjective, but for most the answer is no. Assuming the same beam specs the difference between 200mW and 750mW will be apparent to the eye, but not at all mind blowing.

If you want to burn things with a handheld laser grab yourself a 2-3W 445nm, or 500mW+ 405nm instead.

How's the difference in burning with 445 vs. 405? I know 405 has more photonic energy due to the lower wavelength? Although 445 is available in much higher powers. I'm thinking 405 diodes have better beam specs also?

How's the difference in burning with 445 vs. 405? I know 405 has more photonic energy due to the lower wavelength? Although 445 is available in much higher powers. I'm thinking 405 diodes have better beam specs also?

The difference in energy is really negligible for our concerns. 405nm lasers tend to burn better mostly because the wavelength is better absorbed by most materials. It's been forever since I played with a 405nm handled, so I don't remember for sure but iirc the beam is also round with most 405nm lasers vs more of a rectangle shape with 445nm. Personally I prefer using the least amount of power possible to do things, and 405nm does that. Most people opt for 445nm though due to higher output and visibility. Realistically either one, a 500mW+ 405nm, or 2W+ 445nm will burn very well, though you'd still be better off with a regular bic lighter.