Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is there a yellow laser direct diode ?

Yellow semiconductors exist as leds and have been available for a long time. It’s getting the gain to laze that is the hard part. in fact one of the first oleds was orange. Tv’s don’t need lasers.
Maybe instead of using an LED, we should use dogs. I have a yellow dog and he lazes all day long, and never gets tired of doing it. :)

you'd have to reinvent the television camera to record information that way
That should 'just' be a matter of adapting existing image sensor design to have >3 color 'cells' per pixel and adjusting their sensitivity to whatever color ranges/channels they want. We would need an encoding standard for it, also probably adapted from HDMI or something. I think selling it in general will be the biggest barrier to overcome. Personally I think it would be cool but not enough to spend $1000(0)'s on.

So the real question isn't "can it be done", it's "how much?"

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That should 'just' be a matter of adapting existing image sensor design to have >3 color 'cells' per pixel and adjusting their sensitivity to whatever color ranges/channels they want. We would need an encoding standard for it, also probably adapted from HDMI or something. I think selling it in general will be the biggest barrier to overcome. Personally I think it would be cool but not enough to spend $1000(0)'s on.

welcome back!

I never said it was technically impossible. It's all a matter of a general lack of interest.

If executives think selling it will be a big barrier, they won't be pumping money into it. If money doesn't get pumped into it, it won't happen.

Keep in mind that we are already a few times removed from the justification for there being a cheap yellow laser diode. In order to have a cheap yellow laser diode, we need tetrachromatic laser projectors to be a big thing to justify the need for the part on a widespread commercial level. So, in order for that to happen, tetrachromatic displays (which do exist) need to become a big enough thing for there to be a market not just for the displays, but for the laser projector variety of these displays. And, in order for the displays to have any use at all to justify the high cost, there needs to be a video standard that allows users to take advantage of the extra equipment on them. In order for that to happen, we'd need the adjusted CCDs or whatever other camera technology to take off. Then all of those parts have to come together to usurp already-established standards, and we haven't even mentioned the fact that those laser projector displays would need to become high enough in demand that manufacturers wouldn't just use DPSSL's for the yellow. I mean, all of this could happen, and we could end up with a RLGB laser projector display that costs $10 000 and consumers would just shrug and decide to stick with RGB, which is 99% as good anyway, and the industry could shrug it off and never develop anything.

The short version of the story is that it won't ever happen.

I think it's more likely that someone someday develops some sort of tunable diode that happens to venture into yellow and there ends up being some sort of application for that that justifies mass production, but I even have serious doubts about that.