Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is the axiz 50mW green module any good?

So am a bit confused here. I already have a DX 35 and it's probably putting out 70mw's at 430-450 ma's. I wanted to get something with a bit more power and i
noticed that axiz was selling more of those 50's that daguin was talking about here -->
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1213471542
ebay link--> http://cgi.ebay.com/50mw-tunable-53...1017084QQihZ023QQcategoryZ53141QQcmdZViewItem
Now daguin tested it and found that it put out about 100mws but is it really putting out that much. I am aware that IR isn't that big of a deal but Bionic-badgers picture is kind of starting to freak me out.-->http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forumdata/yabbfiles/Attachments/axiz_50mw_8ft_16ft_IR.jpg
So is it any good?

--hydro15

The IR is pretty well focused, if you're worried about safety. If you worried about the green output, it may not be the whole 100mW, but for the price it's a very good deal. Remember it does not come with a power cord and a box for the driver board. I'm not exactly sure though, I don't own this. Just from other peoples' experience.

Thanks for your input! :) I didn't know IR could be focused like that and thats whats got me so worried. :-/

--hydro15

ben74

Well mine runs at 700mA and i would say about 80-100mWs of power.

L

laserguys

My Axiz 50mW green module puts out 87mW maximum then settles
down to about 85mW at maximum output.
I mounted a 10 turn 500 Ohm pot in a box with the Power Supply PCB
and replaced the on board 500 Ohm Trim pot with the 10 turn pot.
Now I have a variable output Green Labby.

Sounds great! :D I have a DX 35 running at 450 ma's with a 25 ohm pot for a power adjustment. :cool:
I think I'll get one later on but it's a fantastic deal for anybody who wants a lab laser.

--hydro15

I have 2 of them, one will hold up 75 mW the other is 140 mW 'till warm up 5 min and then ~120 mW! Beam specs are great TEM 00. Super for the price!

I'm not so impressed with the divergence though, and yes, the IR is well collimated.  I wonder how it factors into the power readings?

Mine came with the power cord and the box. I think it's a gamble with what you get, but for the price it's really not a bad "labby" type laser. I just wish the divergence was a bit better.

hydrogenman15 said:
I didn't know IR could be focused like that

A few people have written similar things.

IR is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, just like the light you can see. And it has similar properties to the nearby frequencies that make up the visible spectrum: some materials will absorb it, some will reflect it, some will transmit it and quite often these will refract it as well.

If you look at the light coming out of a [link=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dispersion_prism.jpg]prism[/link], you see that red is bent a little bit, while at the upper end of the visible spectrum blue and violet are bent quite a bit more. 'Infrared' means 'below red', i.e. IR is a lower frequency than red. On a prism that means the IR would be above the red, bent proportionally less by the prism. So, compared to the visible colors, IR is less affected by refraction in (visibly) transparent materials.

That last property means that, like other wavelengths of light, IR can be focused... but it also means that the focal length will be longer. With the type of lens you might find in an Aixiz module, violet is bent a lot (a very short focal length), red is bent less (a longer focal length), and IR is bent even less (an even longer focal length). So if a green laser (perhaps one with questionable IR filtering) is focused to a point, the IR at that location is fuzzed out... but there is another location, further out, where the IR is focused to a point at the same time. (Alternately, if you focus the IR to a point at a specific location, green will be out of focus at that point but there will be some other location closer to the lens where green is in focus.)