Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is Soraa making direct yellow diodes too?

joeyss

I found this patent that they filled in May 2010 about a laser projection device or something along the lines of that. It seems to mention all we already know about their plans for red, blue, and green diodes. However something of interest caught my eye in the claims

56. The apparatus of claim 52 wherein the light source comprises a yellow emitting laser diode.

After seeing this I decided to search through the patent to see what else I could find.

I found this on page 26

] While light source based on red, green, and blue color sources are widely used, other combinations are possible as well. According to an embodiment of the present invention, the light source used in a projection system combines a yellow light source with the red, green, and blue light sources. For example, the addition of yellow light sources improves the color characteristics (e.g., allowing for wider color gamut) of RBG based projection and display systems. In a specific embodiment, an RGYB light sources is used for a projection system. The yellow light source can be a yellow laser diode manufactured from gallium nitride material or AlInGaP material. In various embodiments, the yellow light source can have a polar, non-polar, or semi-polar orientation.

If you doubt this see the link.
Laser Based Display Method and System - Google Patent Search

Sorry for posting this again after putting it in the 4 waat blue topic , but I feel this matter deserves more thoughts and attention. My theory is based on what is said on the patent and what Soraa is currently developing , this may be a secret to maintain a edge with their competitors since thier are others making green and blue diodes now , but no direct yellows.

anselm

Am I mistaken or isn't a patent a mere idea, no actual working prototype necessary?
I mean it's cool they are even considering it, but how far is the R&D?
I guess there is no way of knowing...

Last edited:

joeyss

The thing is Sorra hasn't been around for that long and they already accomplished quite a bit with lasers. Another thing to note is they do have some patents for ways to make crystals and dope them so they could indeed have several trade secrets they're working on. It seems to me they have at least went to the drawing board with the yellow diode or even perhaps made a prototype or two.

rhd

That's just smart patent drafting - that's all. It's a logical extension given the yellow channel stuff some (non-laser) television sets have adopted.

It doesn't mean they're developing a yellow laser in the least bit :(

joeyss

That could be bad for us. We might never see a direct yellow now that they could have a patent on some of it.

rhd

They don't have a patent on yellow diodes.

You need to read the claims - that makes up the patent. Yellow laser diodes aren't mentioned until the very last claim (#56)

Look at claim #55.... seen that anywhere? How about every KaSeo projector? Claim #52 - which 55 and 56 relate back to IS a projector too -

This document/patent doesn't encumber yellow laser diodes at all.

Last edited: