Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is Samsung 22x burner SH-S223F diode a winner?

Just bought a Samsung 22x DVD burner model SH-S223F from new-egg for $29 shipped. Reviews say it is the fastest DVD burner so far for PCs. I'm thinking the red diode in it will be higher power than the diodes we are getting out of 18X and 20X burners. Any comments? 29 bucks for a burner diode sounds pretty good to me. What say forum members? If I harvest it ok I will report the results at 400-500ma.

Docjohn
:) :D ::)

EDIT: Just saw the comment on samsung so also got a 22x LG from newegg. Will try to harvest both and test at 400 to 500 ma.

the samsung may be a flat weird diode, but still fully capable of high power levels provided you can harness the light.

chido

DO NOT ever harvest anything from a Samsung drive, you'll find some pretty ugly diodes in there.

I just harvested a Sony optariac 20x burner and it was a flat weird diode. i have no idea what to do with this... any ideas?

I think I'll return all the other drives I ordered if thats possible w/ newegg refurb stuff, otherwise I guess i'll harvest them and sell the diodes or something cause I don't really want them. It's weird tho cause the last batch of sony optariac drives were the nice long open can circle ones, then they pull this crap and switch it up :-/

chido said:
DO NOT ever harvest anything from a Samsung drive, you'll find some pretty ugly diodes in there.
Remember that I found a good, round one in a samsung SH-S162. It worked GREAT at 200mA, but later on I pushed it to 250mA and It died after 3 hours.

So I guess that some samsung drives are good.