Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is possible camcorder lens to collimate 808nm ?

Hello friends,
I would like to know if the idea of using lenses with motorized zoom and focus of old camcorder can be used to Collimate IR laser 7W 808nm, I have an optical group of an old Sony camera.
can anyone tell me if this idea is possible?
thanks

It depends on:
1. The divergence of both axes of the diode array
2. The dioptric power of the lens group
3. Whether or not you are using beam correction optics

dear friend,
I'm a beginner, I am tray to use a 7W C mount 808nm laser to make a engraver machine.
the laser projection are a line not a dot, do you know how to collimate it? as possible to do it using a spherical lens ?
I'm find in ebay Lot of 50 Cylindrical Double-Convex Lens 50 x 40mm, it is ok to collimate?
thanks
Vitor

Last edited:
It needs a lens called fast axis correction (fac) to turn a line into more of a dot. Some 808nm lasers have fac lens built in. The divergence numbers would also show if it has a fac. High power IR diodes will be multi-mode as well (odd shaped dot/ multi-dot).
An engraver isn't really a beginner project I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Dear freind, I`m beginneg on laser projects,
the idea of doing projects with laser always fascinated me, I had many doubts about it I could clarify with people like you (thank you)
I have some experience of working with micro controllers and the idea of laser engraver is recent, I have some trouble with optics, if you can show me a site that shows with good English and good illustrative pictures, would be very grateful.
I recently bought on ebay, a 2D laser galvo, I am waiting to receive by mail. my problem is to focus the laser 7W 808nm more efficiently.
thanks.

HIMNL9

First of all, are the lenses all glass, and there's an AR coating that works also for 808nm on them ?

7W of laser beam is not exactly a pointer ..... also, if the lenses got overheated, the supports and guides of them can melt or become deformed (i suppose you're speaking about a normal camcorder, and they have usually lens supports made in black plastic .....)

I think that is better get a pair of glass lenses and a glass FAC (cylindrical) lens, coated for antireflective for 808nm, and build a different system for focus it .....

Also, infrared etching/cutting machines don't uses usually galvo systems, for a good reason (random reflections from a shiny or melted surface of a 7W IR beam can blind you before you notice it) ..... do you have protective goggles for IR, and a safety system / enclosure, for your machine ?

Safety first, especially with high power lasers.

Always remember that you only have 2 eyes, and that, til now, spare eyes are not on the market ..... and no, i'm not exagerating, a 7W beam can blind you permanently in like 1/100 of second or less ..... if this happen, you notice that you've lost the use of one of your eyes only when theres nothing more to do .....

Friend, thank you for your warnings about goggles, recently bought glasses for 808nm, and am awaiting their arrival.
The lenses I have the Sony video camera are made of glass, is an optical group, with motorized zoom and focus (I did a PIC-based interface to control zoom and focus), I'm working on a table with 2 stepper motors, type plotter. (Your county)
My big question is how to group the lenses, I'm having trouble finding the EBAY cylindrical glass lenses, and was wondering if I can do a good job with spherical glass lenses.
Do you know any place where I can buy a glass cylindrical lens?
please look at this place (http://www.newport.com/Opto-Mechanics/1033/144413/product.aspx) if this lens can be used? it is too expensive, about US$90 + shipping...
Thank you very much

Last edited:
I tried this with a green 532nm laser, and it scattered the beam. The coating on the lens defused the beam. It could work if you swap out the lens, but as HIMNL9 said, there is a lot of power. The plastic would probably melt from the heat in any case.