Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my soldering iron good enough?

D

Deleted member 8382

This are the best ones. Low power and pin head, perfect for small electronics :D

daguin

Well phoenix77 has been generous enough to send me some parts to build my own laser!
Thanks again!
well i was thinking about what ill need and then i was thinking about a soldering iron
i have this iron - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
if i get a finer tip will it be okay?
thanks so much
-Tyler

We used to have a member here (from Europe IIRC) that built some amazing stuff (three module hand helds, etc). His soldering iron looked like the end of an old, used cigar. It is not necessarily the tool. It is whether you can use it well or not.

In good hands a bad tool can work magic.

In poor hands the best tool still produces crap

Practice on other things until you can solder cleanly and quickly

Peace,
dave

okay thanks for the tips
i just didnt want to start this project and ruin it.
any advice for soldering?
thanks again.

Heat the joint, not the solder, and make sure the solder flows in to the joint, not just clump over it, that's what we call a cold joint. I'm sure you can google a good tutorial for soldering. Good luck.:san:

That soldering iron should be fine. Just remember to cover it with solder when you're not using it (and wiping it off when you're ready to solder some more).

Here are some nice videos on good techniques to use with basic soldering irons.

SMIDSY

or you could use conductive glue! its amazing and then you never need to solder again!