Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my laser boned?

Thanks for the replies guys, means alot!!

I'm actually studying electronics engineering at uni (swinburne in hawthorn for those interested) and tomorrow morning i'll actually be in one of the labs where i have access to a voltage/current controlled power supply.

If i set it to 3v and gradually turn the current up, would that be a good way to test it?

Things

hehehe live in melbourne too! :D ;) umm yes that power supply should work, but don't turn it too high, you might blow your diode if it isn't allready! if it ends up not working, you could send it to me, im closer than all of you i think!? :D ;D

haha I might as well get in on this. If all else fails I would LOVE to get my hands on that housing. Really I would :D

Just an update for everyone i get to my uni, use the scope to set the voltage to 3v and turn the current right down.. plug in the laser and the overload light came on. Turns out its only good for .5amp. sooo i'm still at square 1

things said:
hehehe live in melbourne too! :D ;) umm yes that power supply should work, but don't turn it too high, you might blow your diode if it isn't allready! if it ends up not working, you could send it to me, im closer than all of you i think!? :D ;D

Where abouts in melbourne are you? As i think i've said im in Hawthorn and i'd be very keen on hooking this laser upto a known good power supply, would you have something sufficient/would you be interested in testing it out for me at some point? Seeing as you're potentially local we wouldnt have to worry about post etc......... just a thought.

UPDATE:

omg. I'm stupid i realised i have a 3.3v regulated power supply here. Only capable of 1.5amp (lm317). and what do you think happened... green light came out of it.. i stuck the DMM in series with it to measure current and it said 1.3amp so im guessing it was maxing out the reg.

So now my question boys.. What do i do about replacing that power supply?

You could build one...the hard part will be finding out how much power the LD will take without toasting it.

Because what do we all want? MORE POWER!!!!!1eleven!11
Sorry, my shift key sometimes sticks.

Well, for a quick and easy fix you could go for a two lm317 circuit. one for voltage, one for current. Or if you want it to handle more power than an Amp, you could parallel the 317s so use 4 or 6. Not efficient, no soft start, but painless to build.

Edited because I read the thread again.
glenneaux said:
i stuck the DMM in series with it to measure current and it said 1.3amp so im guessing it was maxing out the reg.

Wait a second, the specs for the driver at the link you gave said 100 - 550 mA I'd be very careful with a supply only regulating voltage, it sounds like you drove it pretty hard and I'm glad it's still working for you.

Daedal

OK... the link doesn't work... You now have 10 posts... could you post it again please? Maybe just the product number? or how to get to it?

As about the laser, glad you got it working :D

I'm pretty sure I can make you a nice PSU that can power that thing if I know what it was meant to handle :p

Thanx;
DDL

hey guys.. the site is down

this is the link to the google cache
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache...004&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=au&client=firefox-a
Output Number
Output Voltage and Current
0V~22V0.55A(limited current)
Output Accuracy
/
Ripple and Noise
<50mV/0~50[ch8451];<70mV/-20[ch8451]
Output Power
Efficiency
/
Output Voltage Adjust Range
100mA~550mA
Start-up Time
>2S @220VAC IN,Io=100%
Hold-up Time
>10mS @110VAC IN,Io=100%;>20mS @220VAC IN,Io=100%
Power Factor
/

Just looking at it now i see it says output voltage 0-22v @ 0.55amp (limited current)

Does that mean that when i let it draw 1.3amp does that means i've probably fried it? :p

I REALLY hope you didn't fry the diode.

Was the unit working when you turned off the power from your 3.3 V Voltage regulated supply?

As is stated all over the forum, a voltage limited power supply (same goes for batteries) WILL kill LDs VERY quickly if not instantly. You must limit the current supplied to the LD.

If you understand how this works, there are many ways to do so, some of which don't look like there is a current limiter.

There are several guides on the forum, I'd suggest to first go through all the stickies and for whatever questions you have left bring this thread back up.

Or just take Daedal up on his offer to build you a PSU for a better price than you'll find elsewhere.

I hope you can get it back into working order!

Things

nice i'm glad you got it working! i really hope you didn't blow the diode, but it doesn't really seem that way ATM! oh and about the power supply thing, sorry for not replying, i have been very busy in the last few days, i'm trying to get all my disco equipment up and running for the school disco! :D ;)

Things

oh and maybe you could get in contact with david lanling(davidlanling@hotmail.com), he sells laser modules alot like this, so maybe he could supply you with a PSU!