Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it SAFE to charge lipo cells on a nitecorei4

hey gang! i recently got a quadcopter which runs on lipo cells and the battery charger was lackluster to say the least, so i did a quick mod to allow me to charge using my nitecore, so far so good, but i don't really have any experience with lipo charging. I want to make sure this is ok as it is the beginning of what will be my most expensive laser project ever. FYI i want to put a class 1 laser array on the bottom of a quad/hex/oct?/deca/dodeca :p copter. just in the testing phase now and want to make sure i don't burn my face with battery juice!

Thanks! :D

photo-12_zpsdcab914b.jpg

Last edited:

oahu99

How many cells is the lipo?
Because if it is more than 1 cell it needs a lipo balancer.
Regardless, use a proper lipo charger, for an rc car battery or something.
I'm sure you've seen how unstable lipo batteries are if they are mishandled.
If you didn't know, they burst into flames.
It really isn't worth the safety risk, just buy a proper lipo charger.
Take it easy

I would not recomend using a nitecore charger, but i do think the 2014 version of the i4 can charge LiPo and IMR batteries, but IIRC lower capacity batteries need a second battery in the opposite port to reduce the charge current , i.e 10440/AAA batts (maybe your LiPo to be safe) and just to further confuse you i think ports 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 are the opposites, so if you are for some reason going to continue charging this LiPo maybe you should sit another battery in port 2 aswell regardless of whether the battery in port 2 it is fully charged,

Last edited:
and just to further confuse you i think ports 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 are the opposites

The ol' apple RAM slot technique eh?

when it makes sense: ==
when it doesn't: ||||

yeah the second i realized i was dealing with lipo batteries i was kinda like.... fudge it. i might just go the other way, and mod the copter with a 10440 battery holder, its the same weight with more mAh. bad idea?
that way i can use a 2xAAA holder and use 1 lion for the copter and 1 for the laser array. Since the array will be so low powered i don't see the battery life being a huge issue.

Last edited:
10440 is probably not the best choice for this application. LiPo often has higher safe discharge rate compared to similar sized LiCo. typical 10440 has a capacity of ~300mAh. I wouldn't take these past 1A discharge.

I don't dabble with LiPo too often, but there should be specs regarding t

This is the spec you need to understand ;

Output current: 375mA × 4 / 750mA × 2

When charging two batteries in the i4, be sure to always
place them in either slot 1 and 3 or slot 2 and 4

For a small lipo like yours, I would charge 2 at a time for 375 ma each.

Or, you can just add a parallel connection, and charge from one slot

LarryDFW

Last edited: