Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it possible to make a small powerful red lazer like maybe one watt diode, im trying to make a real life phaser from next generation star trek

Jay__877

i am a new to this tech stuff, i build mostly pcs and really want to get into this stuff i thought it may be a good start

Any laser over 5mw necessitates the proper use of attenuation type laser safety glasses to prevent serious/permanent eye injury.
I have seen some people put lasers into toy/prop " ray-guns " however the user must be responsible for proper laser safety at all times and that includes insuring an innocuous looking object fitted with a laser capable of causing eye damage can't fall into unsuspecting hands........I understand the novelty of doing this but it also presents a hazard as people don't expect a toy/prop to be dangerous.

One of the most disturbing cases was a Bic cigarette lighter fitted with a strong laser, if this fell into unsuspecting hands it would be pointed towards the users face by default and when the cigarette didn't light a person could easily look right down the aperture....... I expect removing the batteries from a device like this when not in use would be a good idea.

Personally I have been reluctant to construct what could accidentally become a booby-trap all too easily.

Last edited:

gazer101

Contemporary lasers capable of cutting through steel (like a phaser) are the size of work cubicles... we simply aren't advanced enough yet to be able to build handheld laser weaponry

Giannis_TDM

Any laser over 5mw necessitates the proper use of attenuation type laser safety glasses to prevent serious/permanent eye injury.
I have seen some people put lasers into toy/prop " ray-guns " however the user must be responsible for proper laser safety at all times and that includes insuring an innocuous looking object fitted with a laser capable of causing eye damage can't fall into unsuspecting hands........I understand the novelty of doing this but it also presents a hazard as people don't expect a toy/prop to be dangerous.

One of the most disturbing cases was a Bic cigarette lighter fitted with a strong laser, if this fell into unsuspecting hands it would be pointed towards the users face by default and when the cigarette didn't light a person could easily look right down the aperture....... I expect removing the batteries from a device like this when not in use would be a good idea.

Personally I have been reluctant to construct what could accidentally become a booby-trap all too easily.
Kipkay.......

Sorry if you did not like my reply.
me:

'no'
and while many wrote more-- the basic message from all ... is still no..

safety at LPF is #1.
any projects looking too dangerous do not get much help from most of us.

MYB you can go here and read a bit..

laserpointersafety.com

I go and read new stuff there every week.

be safe----hak in TX.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Sorry if you did not like my reply.
me:

'no'
and while many wrote more-- the basic message from all ... is still no..

safety at LPF is #1.
any projects looking too dangerous do not get much help from most of us.

MYB you can go here and read a bit..

laserpointersafety.com

I go and read new stuff there every week.

be safe----hak in TX.
Did he remove a post saying that he didn't like your reply? I don't see it anywhere. I only see him saying "thankyou"