Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it possible to ignite a matchstick with a "5mW" laser ?, (not 5W , "5mW").

Is it possible to ignite a matchstick with a "5mW" laser ?, (not 5W , "5mW").

Hello Laser enthusiasts,

I spotted a green "laser pointer" for sale on eBay, allegedly capable of "burning", which is rated as “5mW” ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-Green-5mW-BURNING-Adjustable-Focus-Laser-High-Power-w-
Battery-Charger-/121197216866?pt=US_Laser_Pointers&hash=item1c37eac462

Is igniting a matchstick possible with a laser which is only 5mW ? ...

Here is the eBay seller image of this "5mW" laser apparently doing that ...

u94n.jpg

BTW anyone can report an eBay listing of an item for sale as being inaccurate , (aka "inappropriate") : you don't have to have bought the item to make a report.
If the advertised “5mW” rating is dangerously inaccurate please click on "Report item" which is on the far right edge of the screen on that eBay page

nvt7.png

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Re: Is it possible to ignite a matchstick with a "5mW" laser ?, (not 5W , "5mW").

It might, but if the claim is that it can at 5mW of green, then the reason it is able to is because there is no IR filter on the laser. The problem with this is that you won't be able to see this and you will think that since the laser is only 5mW, you are safe. In reality, this laser probably can light a match but you should get a pair of goggles because the IR is going to do damage to your eyes.

Re: Is it possible to ignite a matchstick with a "5mW" laser ?, (not 5W , "5mW").

On the eBay seller's pictures it's labelled "SDLaser303" ...

Which Google tells me is somewhere between 50mW and 200mW ...

www.alibaba.com said:
Specification
Item NO. : SD-303
Material: : Harden aluminum
on-off mode :Touch Switch/Safety Lock Switch(in the tail)
Battery : 18650
Range of distance(m): 500m-10000m
Wavelength(nm) : 532nm
Voltage(V) : DC3.7V
Spot diameter(mm): 6M≤Φ1.0mm
Dimension(mm) : 150mm×BodyΦ23mm
operation Temperature(Celsius): 0Celsius~+35Celsius
Output power (mW) : 50-200mW
Expected lifetime(hours): >5000
Warranty Time : 6 months

rather than "5mW" as advertised ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-Green-5mW-BURNING-Adjustable-Focus-Laser-High-Power-w-%20Battery-Charger-/121197216866?pt=US_Laser_Pointers&hash=item1c37eac462

Last edited:

ru124t

I have purchased from Nolimitnitro in the past and have bought this same laser you are talking about. It was actually the one in my signature. Here in Canada we are supposed to have less than 5mw. However when I bought this laser it is approx. 100mw and can indeed light a match and melt black plastic cd liners. This guy is great to deal with!

Don't make waves. :tsk:

The best way to ignite a match stick with a 5mW laser is with the side of the laser :whistle:

Last edited:

Cel

The lasers are labeled as 5mW so they would be legal to sell, but they are most often over 5mW. And don't panic over the IR, the green light alone is enough to burn your retina.

@flaminpyro
What if the match is safety match? :whistle:

Teej

I only became aware of this when a forum member explained that eBay can't list a laser over 5 mw, so they list them at 5 mw, and then in the ad, try to explain that its more than that, but that they can't SAY it.

Its akin to members who sell custom lasers, etc, saying NOT to mention "laser" in the paypal subject or other reviewable area, as PP doesn't allow lasers to be paid for, etc.

I suppose its a way to help protect the consumers / protect FROM the consumers who WOULD point it at the eyes and so forth, and, create a liability exposure to the sellers, etc.

LOL @ match on side of 5 mw to light it.

:D

Last edited:

IsaacT

Depends how much knurling is on the side of the laser ;)