Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it possible to hide certain threads from ever showing up?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I made the politics thread so it stays in there. I also clearly state this:

If you are not interested in getting into a any debates, then the answer is simple. Ignore this thread.
This thread allows you that option.

If you have replied to that thread, then unsubscribe.

Edit: Why would you close the thread. I created that thread so there was a place for it and it didn't clog up the forum. If politics starts spreading all over this forum again then I would leave. End of.

What would you rather. One thread that you can ignore, or multiple threads with political debate catching you off-guard irrelevant to the topic?

Last edited:
The political debates dont stay only in the thread. I'm also not subscribed, but it is the one thread get marked as unread almost every time I check the feed, which I have zero choice over. I prefer not being reminded of politics constantly on a laser forum.

There's a little blue " REPORT " bell in the bottom left of every post, if it's political debate outside of the politics thread then report it.
Freedom of speech has to be for everyone and I know this is a laser site, so having just one thread for something that's pretty important right now doesn't seem unreasonable.
Have you unsubscribed from the thread ?

Maybe .......they could change the thread title to " current events discussion " .......would that help ?

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
So do I prefer not to see politics constantly, that's why I created the thread. Therefore it can be ignored. Do you read every single new post when you login every day? That thread is less intrusive than the ads on the screen. If you don't want to see politics, ignore the thread and move on to what you want to see. As for politics outside of the thread, can't stop it all. But if you see a heated discussion where there shouldn't be one. Report it.

I will not be renaming the thread, if it has come to a point where we can't even mention the word then help us all. Its clearly named for a reason. So people know what it is and use it.

I have no problem with the name of the thread. My problem is marking it as read so it gets out of the way, such is my habit of using feeds.
I'm not pushing to silence anyone. Instead, having the option to just hide uninteresting content would let everyone get what they want.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Don't think there is any way of doing that currently on this forum. I'll take a deeper look in a moment to be sure.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Double post: There is only one solution that I know of where this is likely achievable.
I know this is possible of Vbulletin but have no experience of Xenforo.

Create a another custom usergroup (standarduser-nopolitics), move the politics thread to an entire new section of the forum. Maybe just call the section (General Debates). And on that usergroup select that section to be hidden/restricted access for that usergroup only. Then members can request to moved into this usergroup if they desire. Leaving it intact for rest.

Unfortunately, only an admin is capable of this.

Edit: You can ignore users, but not threads.

Last edited:
Double post: There is only one solution that I know of where this is likely achievable.
I know this is possible of Vbulletin but have no experience of Xenforo.

Create a another custom usergroup (standarduser-nopolitics), move the politics thread to an entire new section of the forum. Maybe just call the section (General Debates). And on that usergroup select that section to be hidden/restricted access for that usergroup only. Then members can request to moved into this usergroup if they desire. Leaving it intact for rest.

Unfortunately, only an admin is capable of this.

Edit: You can ignore users, but not threads.

Curtis I admire your efforts to come up with a solution to OP's problem but I don't think that will happen, the politics thread is fine the way it is. @FireMyLaser, I think you will have to suck it up like the rest of us, or perhaps find a third party solution, maybe an ad-blocker could do it.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
No harm in asking, I understand your point. Instead of looking at it negatively when you see a unread notif for that thread, look at it instead as it is working and people are using it. Hopefully we can keep the rest of the forum politics free allowing for only minor mentions.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I like british politics, usually boils down to them all being *****. Discussion over, and now for some humour at their expense. 😛
Anyone using that thread, be sure to observe the written rules. I understand there are tensions right now, but respect each other and get along. Nobody should lose a friendship over politics.

I used an ad blocker for my subscriptions to the Washington Post and NY Times. Ads seem to come every paragraph and it caused me to read a few seconds and scroll down. My hope was that blocking the ads would compress the text, but alas, that is not the case. In reality I have no problem ignoring the ads.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
It's funny but the only ones for the thread are the ones who post in it and the actual creator of the thread. I think it should be deleted. I know there's plenty of forums out there suited for politics. Why not go there?
I personally am against the thread simply because there's a lot of things being said there that shouldn't be said like getting shot in the face. Makes me wonder if I should be here or not. I want to learn about lasers... not politics and how no one can seem to respect each other when they "debate". Just my two cents.

how to close or delete your own thread? I have a few threads with no response so I would like to close or delete them.