Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it okay to test diode with no thermal compound?

Would it be okay to test a S06J at 430mA in a heatsink without thermal compound? The laser wouldn't be on for more than 30 seconds.

The heatsink is a 1 inch diameter aluminum disk with a 11.9mm hole drilled in it for the module.

The module is a Aixiz with a copper diode mount.

DTR

If you go 11.90mm for the heatsink hole you may have a hard time fitting the module in specially if it is mine. They are 11.96mm just slightly undersized from 12mm and modules from other sellers usually follow this sizing although they may vary some due to poor tolerances. Usually you will make a perfect 12mm hole in your heatsink and use a set screw. Thermal compound is not necessary but some do like to use it. The S06J diodes produces some heat but nothing like the 445nm diodes.You will be more than fine running the diode in a 12mm heasink without any thermal paste for testing.:beer:

Last edited:

NKO29

Yeah, DTR's modules are ridiculously tightly fitted into 12mm heatinks lol. I am one of those people who love thermal epoxy, which can actually cause problems later down the road lol. Just for testing i'd say it's fine unless you're using it for an extended period of time.

You say "disk". Is this just a washer with
a 12mm hole? Not much mass there.
HMike