Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is it okay for me (a 11 year old) to own a 1 watt laser

julianthedragon

It's barely ok for some adults to own a 1 watt laser. Definitely give it a few years and try other lasers first. If burning is a priority and your parents are on board, try a 50mw focusable laser and try lighting a match or popping a black balloon.

If the laser is already on the way as implied by your other posts, I recommend simply not using it and finding a way to send it back. Sorry but one slip up and you could a) burn the house down b) ruin someone's vision for life c) get the cops called.

And if you still decide to use this laser, safety glasses are absolutely essential. Order from here https://www.laserglow.com/product/byproduct/Laser-Safety-Goggles/ . And remember anyone around the laser will need to wear them not just you

the laser man

i tried multiple lasers a 100mW one and a 50mW one (those could not burn) i watched several videos about lasers so i could probably own one without burning the house down or blinding myself im getting one of those laser 303 thingys that are focusable i dont think it can burn unless you focus it so i will keep it unfocused for most of the time when its sitting around for safety ill probably mostly use it after eating foods that i order which come in paper bags burning stuff on the balcony my dad definetely doesnt know the dangers of a 1 watt laser but i do and ill make sure to not hold it against reflective surfaces or surfaces that light on fire easily my only 3 questions are 1 is a 1 watt laser able to burn concrete and 2 is pointing the laser at paper able to give me eye damage due to the shine and 3 is it safe to use the laser in the balcony in order to burn papers (the balcony is accessable by 2 plastic doors but the balcony is made out of concrete)

julianthedragon

please remind me not to hire Julian the Dragon to babysit my kids. Although, when I was 11 I was handy with a mag glass and sunshine.
😅if I had real influence over the situation I definitely wouldn't allow any of it. But since kids like to rebel and I'm a random internet person he could easily ignore, I'd sleep easier knowing I at least gave some safety tips. It's kinda like sex ed in high school, is it better to teach abstinence or assume something is gonna go down and give some solid advice? lol