Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it a good idea to use fiber optics laser diode module for pointer laser?

aaaa

I find very little information on this possibility, is this a good idea?

Encap

You already know the answer from your comment. What does common sense tell you?
If not convinced Google"fibrer optics laser pointer" and see/find that nobody anywhere on the planet offers or makes any.

Last edited:

aaaa

But I do not understand why very few people have tried, the diodes are much more efficient and less expensive than diodes for laser pointer

aaaa

it is already used in some cases
endurancelasers.com/diode-lasers/endurance-coherent-fap800-laser-model-15-watt-25-watt-30-watt-808-nm-wavelength/

Honestly, regardless of the trolling or someone either pushing another site, or more likely, being a pest against them and pretending to do so, the thought had occurred to me to make a fiber diode assembly burner that way, I'm not the only member here who has experimented with fiber lasers as burners, they work very well and make a great compact unit for a burner inside a pointer host, but being invisible infrared light, dangerous. I was using a module capable of over 30 watts.

That said, you can point out any laser invisible or visible spectrum or not is dangerous if over so many milliwatts and I would have to agree. So is a tooth pick, don't poke yourself in the eye with it.

Last edited:
The fiber pumps comprised of many small multi mode emitters fiber coupled produce poor coherence length when you try to focus what comes out of the end of a glass fiber, but the active fiber lasers produce very good beam quality, just like pumping a rod pumping active fiber makes for a high quality beam with good coherence length that you can lens into a well focused beam over distance, but active fiber lasers are still quite expensive although that 30w engraver I linked yesterday is becoming more common for homeowners and small business and will become even more affordable especially on the used market.

It's extra important that the proper laser safety glasses and very good laser safety be employed at all times when working with lasers in the near IR range although now many fiber engravers/cutters are in the " eye safe " range which only means diffuse reflections don't penetrate the cornea like visible and near IR but the older FAP's and the fiber pumps are near IR and that makes diffuse invisible reflections dangerous to the retina so just because someone may have used a fiber laser at work without wearing laser safety glasses don't think that all invisible lasers are eye safe, they are not, IINM " eye safe " begins around 1400nm or 1.4um but that only means diffuse reflections don't easily reach the retina.

Working with any invisible laser in the 700-1400nm range ( or there about ) is extra risky and not something that should be used in a " pointer " except in under 5mw pointers/designators such as used with night vision for pointing/designating.

Last edited:
He did qualify the question asking if it was a "good idea".... In what regard? I'm fairly convinced many of these hit and run questions are merely an attempt to keep the forum alive and not so much trolling, but of course, we still have that too.

Last edited:
Yea it could be or someone trolling, however anyone could plug that or a similar question into google and end up here, so rather than concerning ourselves with the sincerity of the new member I suggest either ignoring the question if it's really dumb or try to give a useful answer, feel free to correct my terminology or facts should I get something wrong, I do want to post accurate information.

I answer some questions regardless of my impression, in this case I am nuetral regarding intent.

If someone hints of malicious intent then nobody here will help them and I know you wouldn't either, as for making use of these modules there is application where they are useful such as home cnc, but as OP asked about a " pointer " they would only be useful with night vision or security cameras and in that case a lower power single mode would be better, for burning entertainment with extra caution and understanding, I install an on indicator and standby indicator because I use a main power switch and an activate switch, I would not use just a flashlight style single switch.......hell an aperture shutter or safety cap would be advisable as well and if using only 1 switch a safety cap and good habits.

Good idea, also a momentary switch which is resessed to make it harder to accidentally turn it on, perhaps a fan which comes on when radiating would help too, especially if noisey.