Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is Flux Conduxtive?

Hemlock Mike said:
Flux is a cleaning agent - as such it dissolves oxides including lead oxide.

Go ahead -- eat it.  I'm a dumb ass here after 30 years as an engineer in industrial circuit soldering.

Mike

I not sure... but I think that was directed at me.... :-?

Hey Mike.... no one is disputing your knowledge.... and certainly no one thinks your a "dumb ass"

I just wanted to know where the Lead in the Rosin came from.... a simply question that you just
answered for me... thanks..

I too have been in the Electronics assembly field for over 30 years...

Like the English say.... "no need to get your knickers in a knot"... :)

[EDIT] and Spidy was just kidding about eating it... he's not that stupid....

Jerry

Hemlock Mike said:
Flux is a cleaning agent - as such it dissolves oxides including lead oxide.

Go ahead -- eat it.  I'm a dumb ass here after 30 years as an engineer in industrial circuit soldering.

Mike
Lol, i'm kidding! I never actually ate it. I just happened to taste it when i licked the q-tip.

Small amounts of lead are excreated from the body slowly but I don't advise the experiment. Lead Oxide does not dissolve in water unless the pH is low as in the guts.
Acid flux and rosin flux all rely on acids organic and otherwise. Acids are conductive under proper conditions like humidity. Rosin tends to seal itself under the resin carrier of the sap.
If you use Kester paste flux, be sure to remove the polar and bipolar components in cleaning. Typically the residue has high impedance unless there is too much H2O available.

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
Small amounts of lead are excreated from the body slowly but I don't advise the experiment.  Lead Oxide does not dissolve in water unless the pH is low as in the guts.  
Acid flux and rosin flux all rely on acids organic and otherwise.  Acids are conductive under proper conditions like humidity.  Rosin tends to seal itself under the resin carrier of the sap.
If you use Kester paste flux, be sure to remove the polar and bipolar components in cleaning.  Typically the residue has high impedance unless there is too much H2O available.

Mike

Thanks for elaborating... It's a bit clearer now...

Jerry