Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR laser form DVD drive

Mato92

Hi,
I am new to this forum and new to lasers as well. I have made 200mW red laser from DVD drive and I have used driver schematics from this forum. Now I need your help with something I didn't found on this forum.
I have an IR diode, but I don't know if there is the same pinout as on the red one and if I can use the same driver.
It has some code written on it's can. It says "SI625H19C". I couldn't find anything about it. DVD drive model was LG GSA-4167B.
So is there the same pinout as on a red laser diode? And can I use the same driver circuit?
Thank you for answers. Sorry for my English, I'm just learning. :)

The IR diode from DVD burners aren't really good for anything pointer related as they are probably very low power :(

.3lite

It was also a 48x CD-Burner so that ir laser diode is about 100mW+.

Mato92

I have read that if I point it at my hand, it can sting my skin (in some video comment on YouTube). Is that true?

Last edited:

.3lite

if you are black, I mean black skin, otherwise no.

Last edited:
This post would have been better suited to the "Infrared/Other Colors" board, rather than the red lasers board.

.3lite: That's a very offensive word.

.3lite

I didn't mean it on purpose, I'm not rasist, I've just changed it.

Last edited:

Mato92

I'm caucasian. I know that most of lasers don't burn white colored objects or a skin. I don't know why I thought that IR will be something special... Maybe I just don't have to believe everything I read. :yh:

The IR diodes in DVD burners are not very fun to look at, but they are quite powerful and will easily burn. Typically they produce ~200mW@~250mA of input current.

Typically they produce ~200mW@~250mA of input current
mmmh i guess it's lesser than 200 mw at 250 mA ( could they really reach this current ? it's high for me ) according to Stenkat's Ir graph (from daguin or mike don't remenber)
808ui0.jpg

Truthfully, I've never used one myself so all I can do is basically quote what others have said in the past. That graph may be a bit more accurate. The Senkat diode is an 808nm, whereas the IR from a DVD burner is 780, so they are different diodes. While I have used the Senkat 808, I have no firsthand experience with 780nm diodes.

I got a high powered ir laser out of the lpc-815 20x dvd burner sled and I was able to run it at 420 ma, though it just burned out a month after building it, it lit matches very fast, even faster than the red laser in that sled.

Mato92

This diode works very good at 110 mW. It doesn't overheat and it lights matches. I found out because I just accidentally destroyed my 650 nm diode, so I tried this one.