Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

iPhone 4S (SIRI)

Well, I am sure everyone now here has heard about the new Iphone 4S with a voice assistant called SIRI. I was doing a little research on a friends iPhone install package from the new iOS5 and noticed a little text file identifying SIRI as an SRI labs intelligent assistant project with DARPA. I researched this a bit more and came up with, the name CALO and PAL.
The project development goes back to 2004 and eventually
CALO spawns PAL - Personal assistant that learns.
https://pal.sri.com/Plone/framework

There are all sorts of applications and C# coding modules available on the PAL site, so if anyone has ability in programming, it would be interesting to see what people could come up with!

Apple adapted the audio part of the project coding and adapted it for an ARM (A5) chipset!
It is an amazing assistant and it even learns tone of voice, intonation, and even slag. It also learns how to respond to being sworn at! Yes... that's right. It will learn how to give it right back too! I have heard some Hilarious responses so far from my friends phone and had us in stitches! Check the youtube videos.

I have Siri Assistant on my iPhone back from a few years ago. Never really used it though. I just checked the app store though and it seems to be mysteriously missing. Looks like Apple bought them out (maybe?)

Last edited:

ped

I dont care what anyone says, you'd still feel an idiot in public telling your phone to open a new text message...or "call dan" .

Sorry.

I dont care what anyone says, you'd still feel an idiot in public telling your phone to open a new text message...or "call dan" .

Sorry.

ahhah so true

the only reason i see to use it would be in the car

Yes, borrowing and adapting is what tech firms generally do. Apple sees an idea that they can use or re-engineer, they do so. Nothing wrong with this.
SIRI started as another application CALO, this is completely separate from anything ever iOS. PAL was ported for Safari originally but never went anywhere until about 2 years ago.