Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Introducing the Delta Isis

benmwv

Why use that big ole USB? I hate those things.

Go for a micro! Or a mini.

ARG

Ewww small USB's. Yuck. :p

Micro is decent, but it's too small and fiddly IMO, and I'm not a fan of the passive latching mechanism.

Mini USB is okay, the newer ones at any rate. The older ones only last for 1,000 plug cycles. I use them when I can't use USB-B.

However, USB-B has a large plug which is easy to use because you can see which way it goes in with ease (USB-A should have never happened).

The main reason is that they are easy to cut holes for. Mini USB and micro USB are not easy to make slots for in project boxes, and when there are thick walled cases you have to cut wider so that the cable will go in right.

I can't think of any LPM that this wouldn't fit into, so there's really no reason not to use a big guy :D

benmwv

Different strokes I guess. I prefer micro over any other.

USB-B is just too big and I don't think I even have any of the cables! Maybe one in my printer. I hate those stupid fat things.

I need you and trevor to both PM me your addresses!
Send you guys some LPM sensors ;)

ARG

I have had a couple members express interest in buying one of these, if anyone is interested in getting one for your LPM let me know and I can produce a small batch. :)

ARG

Small update: I have ordered PCB and parts to make a small batch of Isis', I will have a few for sale soon. If you want one let me know and I'll set one aside as there are a limited amount.

Thanks to both ARG and Trevor for this add on. I have found with the meter I wish to add this I need to multiply the voltage value by 5. Currently 6mv=30mw, 100mv=500mw.

I also get an error when checking the code downloaded, I was curious if my attempts at modifying would work, but I couldn't get the original to check verify. Please see the attached image. I found the "simple" compiles fine, but the LPM fails.

I am guessing here as I have only programmed some stepper motors in Arduino before; that in the serial out I would multiply reading in each location or add a integer. Please comment on my ideas.
Original code:
int decimal = abs((reading - (int)reading) * 10);
int intRdg = (int)reading;

Modified code: add a int
int mymeter = reading * 5
int decimal = abs((mymeter - (int)mymeter) * 10);
int intRdg = (int)mymeter;

Or just add multiplication

int decimal = abs(((reading * 5) - ((int)reading * 5)) * 10);
int intRdg = (int)(reading * 5);

thoughts on if that would work and why I cant get the code to check out even before modification.

Thanks

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Can I just modify the LPM version "reading.ino" to match that of the simples? Just removing the "s" that causes the error and adding a ";" after the "2)" where the next error occurs, this then matches that of the simple firmware.

This allows it to pass the verify, am I correct that the firmware difference appears in the "serial.ino" in the case of these two files.

Also noted my adding int = mymeter failed miserably, but the *5 compiled, would that work?

Thanks

Last edited:
I didn't run the code but that "s" is certainly a mistake, just go ahead and remove it. Using the simple is OK.

As for scaling, just change the "* 4000.0" to "* 20000.0".

ARG

I noticed that s before as well, I sent a PM to Trevor for a fix :)

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

ARG quick question. It appears there are plenty of I/O left available. Is that correct?

Thinking about trying to code the firmware to where the scaling can be changed depending on 4 switch settings. As the meter I use voltage out varies with scale. 10W reading *5, 2W scale is a /2, 200mw /20 and 20mw /200 for 1mv to equal 1mw.

Thinking that if I could set scaling usually 4000.0, depending on switch input to 20000, 2000, 200, or 20; Since the scale switches on the meter have a spare set of contacts on each, I could then track them and get the best resolution readings. Instead of just keeping on the 10w scale.

Does that seem possible or a far fetched dream?

ARG

There are lots of I/O left, but none of them are broken out on the PCB. If you would like I can solder some wires directly onto the IC pins before I ship it out to you.

That seems entirely possible, and easy enough to do :)

There are lots of I/O left, but none of them are broken out on the PCB. If you would like I can solder some wires directly onto the IC pins before I ship it out to you.

That seems entirely possible, and easy enough to do :)

That be great if you don't mind. I am alright with surface mount, but my eyes are starting to get old. Thanks

Trevor

Yeah - I think that "s" worked it's way in when I fat-fingered "Ctrl+S" before uploading it. :eek:

I'll have to get a new version uploaded.

Trevor