Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

'Intro' threads--- the good the bad and the non-existent..... why bother?

Sadly is does not occur to many new members to make an 'intro' ..you get a zero..some make wonderful intros-(they get a 10)AND get lots of replies AND if done RIGHT will make your stay at LPF much better.

IMHO it is as simple as this.... OUR forum is not unlike a big ass party w/ open door--sure... you can just waltz in, head to the open bar and hit the free food in the buffet. BUT if raised right you will find the hosts,, shake a hand or two, and introduce yourself.

You will NOT fail to add your location in your profile AND in the TITLE **THE TITLE**...
Members near you are not mind readers AND may not read your intro BUT if they live near you--99% will send a greeting--either in your intro thread or by PM./. BECAUSE they saw your location in your intro title..

We have actually had new members live close to others w/o ever meeting (almost)... duh.. We understand that in some forums it may not be a good place to give up your general location -- LPF is not one of those.... also LPF does not require an intro --- and frankly that should not be necessary--anyone with manners and respect for others would not need a 'intro' rule. (but some other forums require one)

WHEN is it TOO late to make a proper intro??
NEVER too late.
We just saw a nice one and the member joined 3 years ago. He got a lot of positive replies.
Just in case you do not know- via your ISP is easy to get your location..

So.. no trying to be sneaky with lying about your location as that WILL get you banned!!!
But we like to learn that from you..its called respect.... a two way street.

Smart!
and to some extent this also applies to your DOB.. lying about age will get you perma-banned.
READ the TOS if this post is not clear enough.

So.. the question is NOT why do some put location in their intro title'..the question is why do some many leave that out of their title??

PM for clarification if you must.

hak

Last edited:

LaserRanger

I do believe it to be common courtesy to introduce yourself to a new group of people you want to make friend ls with. It matters not be it on the interwebs or IRL. Hak, Now I can't help but wonder what your rating for my intro was 🙃

YOU WONDER?? I came down HARD on you no slack--
It was my turn to be 'bad cop'
Jkidding

I think you just want to hear it again..

here, to refresh your memory I wrote:

my 'review'? of your intro
.. Your intro was great.. always good to see new members like yourself joining us..
I think we could use your help.. Lots of great and exciting projects are on-going here and more getting involved in any degree is a win win. Those, so far, that greeted you are ALL top shelf members.

and THEN I said...

''I thought it fitting in this situation''.

( my showing respect to LR by using 'VR")).

''you have a lot of class... I think we should go ahead and give him a key to the VIP toilet and the secret handshake too.
We don't always know the best place to buy everything but we SURE know where NOT to shop..
Dealing with other members is generally a good idea ( brand new here) Any shady characters are shown the way out fairly fast. We try hard to have each others backs. Feel free to ask about companies.... Lots of gear can be gotten here at LPF.

about English -second language-- had me fooled-- no problem..

VR
hak

LaserRanger

Of course I haven't forgotten 😎👍 I just felt so proud of hearing that from a very respected member of the forum. Although I should stay humble instead of boasting haha Thank you and everyone else for all the help you give to everyone in this forum!