Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Intro post

MapsAndLegends

Hey y'all. I recently developed an obsession with cool laser pointers. It may last or I may get over it and obsess about something else. We'll see. :)

MY LASER JOURNEY

* buy a pen-style green laser that takes AAA batteries (Green Laser #1) on amazon four years ago (advertised as 1mW, the warning sticker says <5mW). Play with it. It's cool. Forget about it.

* go to a local observatory event where amateur astronomers are using green laser pointers to point stuff out in the sky. Think "Whooooooaaaa coool". Dig up Green Laser #1, find that it's way too weak to show a beam in the sky. Google around and learn about other lasers like the 303. Google around a *lot* about 303s. Finally find a 303-type laser (labeled Dreamlizer) on Amazon, advertised as <5mW. Buy it. (Green Laser #2). It's AWESOME. Visible beam at night or even in dim rooms. Can burn stuff when focused on dark objects. I eventually learn to focus it well enough to burn a non-sharpied match at a couple inches' range, quickly. Yasssss. I wonder whether it's *really* <5mW. No way to know. Read up a lot on laser safety. Buy some red laser googles. Worry about infrared.

* Order red and purple 303-style lasers from Ebay, both advertised as <5mW.

* Play with Green Laser #2 for a while, also have Green Laser #1 out to mess around with. I eventually learn that if I give Green Laser #1 a little time to warm up, and give it a nice fresh set of powerful batteries, it is apparently as bright and as far-shooting as Green Laser #2!!! Whoa!! That's a lot of power in a pen-sized laser!!!

* Red Laser comes in the mail. Labeled <5mW. Everything about it is thoroughly unimpressive. Bascially it's a glorified cat toy. Well, it can eventually light a match if focused. Eventually.

* I take apart Red Laser and Green Laser #2 and swap the lens part of the case to see what happens. Nothing interesting. I swap them back.

* I notice that the Green Laser now has a blob of light to the side, and the dot is kind of smeary. Oh crap, did I bump something or smudge something while taking it apart and putting it back together? I use various wipes to try and clean the lens, and mostly just make it worse. Eventually I decide this laser is a write-off, and just take it apart to see what's inside. I order a new one (a different green 303, this time from ebay). I also order one from DealExtreme which claims to be 200mW.

* The violet laser comes in the mail! Woo hoo! It's labeled "<200mW" instead of "<5mW". OH MAN. Did I get a much better laser? It's hard to compare. The dot is way less impressive than either green laser, but of course that's to be expected because green is the brightest. You can never see the beam. It can light matches, but not any better than Green Laser #2. Worse if anything. The fact that fluorescent things like white pieces of paper or cloth or whatever light up bright when the laser hits it, is really cool. It's neat to use to watch fluorescent things light up, but other than that, not that interesting.

So there I am. I have a little pen green one which seems to be doing great, another green one I messed up and broke, a red one that's completely underwhelming, a violet one that's really neat (with a sticker that suggests it might be very powerful) but other than the fluorescent effects isn't that impressive. And I have 2 more green ones in the mail on their way here.

I registered here because this seems like the most well-informed place on the internet to talk about lasers, and I'd love to be able to hit people up about questions I have.

Oh, one question I have is.... I notice that on eBay, lasers are often given with a number of "miles" that seems completely ridiculous ("5 mile laser" "40 mile laser" "100 mile laser") -- like, how could you test that? where could you possibly find a 100 mile line of sight to shoot your laser? I have a hard time in my area finding anything more than a quarter mile or so to test mine.

But then it occurred to me that all those numbers are completely plausible as measures of *milliwats* of laser output. I'm wondering if that's a code people are using on ebay to indicate the number of actual milliwatts of lasers which they're selling as "<5mW" for legal reasons?.... Just wondering if that was a thing.

In any case, I'm glad to meet y'all and happy to have a good resource in my terrifying journey through sketchy and possibly dangerous ebay lasers.

Those "military lasers" that are claimed to be seen at some arbitrary distance are just crap and not code for anything, but you are foolish if you believe them. All the 301 and 303 style lasers on eBay are mass produced and can end up producing anywhere from 50 mW to 80 mW. It is totally the luck of the draw, so buy the least expensive you can find. They are all the same.

Also, welcome to the LPF.

MapsAndLegends

Ah, thanks! It's good to know I don't really have to worry about claimed "miles "or mW on ebay 301/3 lasers.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, MapsAndLegends! :)

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

If you stay with the lasr hobby, you'll definitely want to explore other higher quality lasers.
You will find them for sale from time to time on the BST (BuySellTrade) sub forum, or you may look at some of the high quality Chinese companies such as Jetlasers, and Sanwu, both have a good reputation here at LPF, we also have talented members here who can build you a custom laser.

Edit: Member Lifetime17 makes some super custom lasers, here is a sample of some of his work.

Last edited:

MapsAndLegends

Welcome to LPF, MapsAndLegends! :)

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

If you stay with the lasr hobby, you'll definitely want to explore other higher quality lasers.
You will find them for sale from time to time on the BST (BuySellTrade) sub forum, or you may look at some of the high quality Chinese companies such as Jetlasers, and Sanwu, both have a good reputation here at LPF, we also have talented members here who can build you a custom laser.

Edit: Member Lifetime17 makes some super custom lasers, here is a sample of some of his work.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely have to try a laser from an actual reputable seller in the future :)

Hi,
Welcome to LPF 520nm lasers are the brightest beams 1W and over. When I say bright yes they are, A few pics .
Rich:)fullsizeoutput_9ed.jpegfullsizeoutput_8ea.jpegIMG_4756.JPGIMG_1727.JPG