Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Intro from Canada

Hello Everyone!

I go by Pan or Pantera, Im in my late 20s and planning on starting to build 3d printer/laser engraver or cutter hybrids.

I have never built a laser before so I want to learn EVERYTHING I can before jumping in to the deep end. I will start with a few pairs of goggles/glasses and go from there. Since I plan on sharing this device with friends and co-conspirators :)P) I want to make sure everyone is safe and knows the risks.

I have been doing a lot of research online and stumbled across a page by the name of "https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/" and found a nice link to a how-to on this site! Thanks to DTR for the "passive referral" and the awesome looking pre-assembled diode sets!

The info found here is amazing but as the title implies, its about laser pointers. not necessarily laser cutters/engravers but I'm hoping I could take advantage of the forums and maybe some of the members to find the info I need to make the best possible engraver/cutter units. It's been done before by others so I know it is possible to outfit a 3d printer but I want to make sure I have every detail in line.

I'm interested in the 445nm units as my research found it was the best for multiple materials and less dangerous than the IR lasers.

I'll post shortly in the 445 forums as I don't want my intro to get too long winded lol

Thanks for simply existing on the internet!

Pantera

I'm a newcomer myself, but let me be one of the first to welcome you to the forum and say "Hi". Some searches for engraving or cutting bring up several threads, so there does seem to be some info here. What isn't here already, you can share as you learn more from other sources. Here's wishing you an enjoyable time on the forums and with your projects.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind welcome knowbar! I hope to do a bit of digging before I post anywhere else but my main issue right now is sourcing a square, long heating that can be fan cooled for a decent price. I don't want to get a custom job because I may end up needing a ton of them if I start building them so I want something off the shelf. I assume there will be a bunch of links and leads for me to find here!

Oh wow... Lol I meant a long square heat sink... Not heater! :) and thanks guys!

Last edited:

ARG

Welcome! Always happy to see another Canadian here :)

Hey ARG! Hope to find d a few more of us cold northerners in here, I have found it pretty tricky to find parts sources on our side of the border, maybe it will help to get more involved on this forum! Thanks for the well wishes