Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interesting question

Interesting question I was at the movies when i got a weird question in my head that i can’t seem to find the answer to... Normally a laser (except 405nm) under 200mW can't do much to white surfaces, but what if its a theater screen, and the projected image is black??? Will it burn the screen then? I think it may just bleach out the black color and do nothing, but I’m not too sure as i can burn out TV screens with a 200mW dilda...

Thanks
DLMB
:yh:

mfo

Well at least if I hear about a movie theater being set on fire on the news, I'll know who it was :)

My guess is white is white.

Well at least if I hear about a movie theater being set on fire on the news, I'll know who it was :)

My guess is white is white.

Haha I don't plan on testing to see what happens, thats why i ask the question. :beer:

The answer is no. A white surface is still a white surface regardless of the light that is cast on it. A white surface that looks red because it has red light on it is still a white surface.

Just because it's not currently reflecting light doesn't mean it no longer reflects light. If the projected image is black, it just means there's no light shining on it. All the colors of light that hits it will still reflect, hence it being white, it just happens there's no light shining on it when it's black.

And as far as one color of light affecting another color of light hitting the same object in general, you need to look up something called superposition.