Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interesting dot photo (1.4W 445nm diode)

djQUAN

Since my 1.4W handheld has a momentary button and switches the driver to standby with the key switch on and button unpressed, It drives the laser diode at about 15-20mA so we get an LED effect as an "aiming beam" when burning. I've seen this before but didn't think about taking pics until now.

When pointing it to a wall and focused, you can clearly see the laser diode die shape and the spot where all the laser light is emitted (forgot what it is called).

In the following pic, you can see the large circle which is the diode case window. The rectangular object in the center is the laser diode die. The bright "aura" surrounding the die is the back part of the case directly behind the die being lit up. The dark portion below is the shelf where the die is mounted onto.
attachment.php

A shorter exposure time reveals where on the diode die facet the laser light is emitted. You can see here that on mine, it was off center. In another diode that I had, it was exactly in the middle of the top part of the die.
attachment.php

Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't know what words to use to search of a previous topic.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 526

The word which you keep forgetting is commonly known as the "Phantom square". It is very common among 445 and even alot of 405.

DTR

Yep it is always there is a single element lens G-1/2/9 lens
445%20lens%202.jpg

djQUAN

Ah the phantom square. Interesting name, haven't heard of it before :)

Mine doesn't have it at full power, only at this low power LED mode. Must be because the bright dot is overwhelming the square image.