Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interested in a RGB Laser

IIRC how you power then is explained in the listing or should be- you don't modulate the voltage- nor the lasers as they are very likely ttl blanking ONLY- what you can do is up the current. realistically you cant build one for what Techood asks-- My main bitch witj LL was the failure to honor their warranty-- my 200mW 532 fatty module was in reality only 40 or less mW. i thought Merry & I were almost friends but she was unable to get me a replacement -- go with the best one techood sells nice starter kit for a laser projector w/ 7 colors (8 if you count black--lol)

OR just buy a working RGB projector with PC/db25 and be doing way more right from the box-- I have a GB on-going and there are 3 and maybe a fourth PJ offered.
you can join the GB pay directly and get yours shipped to you- PM to learn moar..

So basically what I'll get getting from Techhood for that price is the standalone laser module.
Which means I'll have to buy a separate PSU to power it ,yes?

As for the offer Hak, well I'm not so sure... lol .
The price range of the stuff I am looking at has already etched way out of my original budget ,but thanks anyway :thanks:

Alright then.
After asking around a bit on the forum .
It turns out what I'll want is a RGB combination of around 4:1:2 or 5:1:3 for "white" using (638nm, 532nm, 445nm).

So that puts me to
Either this :
RGB 1W Laser Module/Combined Laser beam of 532nm+635nm+450nm/TTL
$(KGrHqRHJDIE+GHqtBdlBP2f5!H5uQ~~60_35.GIF

or this
RGB-1W-Laser-Module-Combined-Laser-beam-of-532nm-638nm-445nm-White-Laser-Beam
$T2eC16NHJG8E9nyfmZgbBQWE0JnoTg~~60_57.JPG

But here comes the question.
I'm relatively new to lasers you see , and have only owned handheld portable lasers powered by batteries before.
What do I need to power bench lasers such as those?

I understand I'll need a PSU, but I heard not ALL PSU will be suitable. There something about the heating effect and the related increase in resistance of the module will make the DUMB PSUs "blow the diodes" or something....
uh.huh

Don't really have an idea here.

Also .. I've got a little idea of adding an independent collimation lens and IR filter at the output of each of the modules so I can focus a nicely round white beam instead of a color wheel.
I probably would want a lens mount or something, but most of the stuff I find are either round or REALLY REALLY REALLY expensive.
5961.jpg

Any good recommendations out there?

Last edited:
Specifications
Wavelength : 532nm(250mW)+635nm(250mW)+450nm(500mW)
Combined Optical Power outut: 1000mW

** Operating Voltage: 11-13VDC ***
Warm-up Time: <3 minutes
Operating Lifetime: >5000hrs
Operating temperature: 0 - 40 °C
Modulation: TTL 30kHz
Laser Head Dimensions :210mm x 150mm x 76mm
Beam Characteristics :(Near to TEM)) model , Divergence<2.5mrad, Spot roundness >85%
The diode head should not normally be disconnected from the driver board (the diode is very sensitive to static and any accumulated charge in the power supply). Power should be supplied via the attached connector block in the PSU.
^^^
this is copy pasta from the techhood listing

so by that what you need is a regulated 12vdc PS- a cheap wallwart would not be a good idea.

you could power it will 12VDC worth of batteries but I doubt it would run very long.

the pros on this:
635nm red- thats about as good as you can as for- nicer red than most others.

adjustable (but still very cheap) dichro/mirror mounts. allows fine tuning.< the top set up does not appear to have these- not good- most would want to un-glue these and attach the dichros and mirror to better mounts.

here is a eekbay listing for a complete set of dichros and high end mounts- you can find much smaller and cheaper like the one above that have adj. mounts. And use the dichros that come with this module-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230624528989?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

CONS

TTL blanking only- those offered with analog modulation allow millions of colors.
while TTL is just seven- R-G B= combined= white(ish) -- Y ( made from R + G)
magenta ( R + B) and Teal or Aqua (made form G +B)

TTL blanking is acheived in a way that 'should' not harm your lasers- done manually (like quickly turning modules on and off) is a NO-NO for lasers-

On the PCB there are three places to hook up/plug in the TTL- one for each module.
AFAIK this is done with 5vdc. a laser show 'card' has the places where these lead to.
This card often has the db25/PC in & out- the tiny mic for sound control (lasers move to the beat of the music it 'hears'-)
a set of dip switches that allow you to change the modes and some have a few built in displays and/or aimations- when you attach the db25 to this board all the above stops and only what you DAC 'sends' is shown.
The DAC runs to your PC where you have the lasershow software loaded.

While very satisfying and rewarding building your own projector will be more expensive(not even counting you labor/time) than just buying one from a China maker like LaserKing- I have a GB(round #3) for four different PJs between 350mW and 850mW all RGB all TTL all great quality for the price which ranges from $248 to $515. (total- express ship included)
to get this deal you need to join the GB- be OKay with me paying at one time for all of us and except how a GB works and all the possible consequences.

Forum members have recently gotten 26 LK projectors from Miss Linna at LK and AFAIK we all are 100% happy.

IN the first two GBs on these I had to pick up the last few unwanted PJs to make the GB go faster-

So I cannot afford to just keep them- i put an Feebay listing and took 699$ for the first- two more must go.. if anyone reading this has Qs(or an offer) Feel free to PM me so we can discuss.

these were $510(now $515) from the GBs ( total) the 850mW is also offered this round at $515. for software bundle deal add $500 for Quick Show.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-7-C...age_Lighting_Single_Units&hash=item417300626f

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I see.
Much appreciate the help hak. :thanks:

So how about the focusing tho?
I mean...
JEBUS CHRIST!
Divergence <2.5mrad
With a fixed focus , I'm gonna get a color wheel and a rainbow beam by 40m.

If I want to have the option to have a nice spot as well.
Is the worth the effort to have someone machine a custom lens mount ?
Or should I don't even bother
:confused:

Specifications
Wavelength : 532nm(250mW)+635nm(250mW)+450nm(500mW)
Combined Optical Power outut: 1000mW

** Operating Voltage: 11-13VDC ***
Warm-up Time: <3 minutes
Operating Lifetime: >5000hrs
Operating temperature: 0 - 40 °C
Modulation: TTL 30kHz
Laser Head Dimensions :210mm x 150mm x 76mm
Beam Characteristics :(Near to TEM)) model , Divergence<2.5mrad, Spot roundness >85%
The diode head should not normally be disconnected from the driver board (the diode is very sensitive to static and any accumulated charge in the power supply). Power should be supplied via the attached connector block in the PSU.
^^^
this is copy pasta from the techhood listing

so by that what you need is a regulated 12vdc PS- a cheap wallwart would not be a good idea.

you could power it will 12VDC worth of batteries but I doubt it would run very long.

the pros on this:
635nm red- thats about as good as you can as for- nicer red than most others.

adjustable (but still very cheap) dichro/mirror mounts. allows fine tuning.< the top set up does not appear to have these- not good- most would want to un-glue these and attach the dichros and mirror to better mounts.

here is a eekbay listing for a complete set of dichros and high end mounts- you can find much smaller and cheaper like the one above that have adj. mounts. And use the dichros that come with this module-

RGB Laser Combining Mirror Mount Set | eBay

CONS

TTL blanking only- those offered with analog modulation allow millions of colors.
while TTL is just seven- R-G B= combined= white(ish) -- Y ( made from R + G)
magenta ( R + B) and Teal or Aqua (made form G +B)

TTL blanking is acheived in a way that 'should' not harm your lasers- done manually (like quickly turning modules on and off) is a NO-NO for lasers-

On the PCB there are three places to hook up/plug in the TTL- one for each module.
AFAIK this is done with 5vdc. a laser show 'card' has the places where these lead to.
This card often has the db25/PC in & out- the tiny mic for sound control (lasers move to the beat of the music it 'hears'-)
a set of dip switches that allow you to change the modes and some have a few built in displays and/or aimations- when you attach the db25 to this board all the above stops and only what you DAC 'sends' is shown.
The DAC runs to your PC where you have the lasershow software loaded.

While very satisfying and rewarding building your own projector will be more expensive(not even counting you labor/time) than just buying one from a China maker like LaserKing- I have a GB(round #3) for four different PJs between 350mW and 850mW all RGB all TTL all great quality for the price which ranges from $248 to $515. (total- express ship included)
to get this deal you need to join the GB- be OKay with me paying at one time for all of us and except how a GB works and all the possible consequences.

Forum members have recently gotten 26 LK projectors from Miss Linna at LK and AFAIK we all are 100% happy.

IN the first two GBs on these I had to pick up the last few unwanted PJs to make the GB go faster-

So I cannot afford to just keep them- i put an Feebay listing and took 699$ for the first- two more must go.. if anyone reading this has Qs(or an offer) Feel free to PM me so we can discuss.

these were $510(now $515) from the GBs ( total) the 850mW is also offered this round at $515. for software bundle deal add $500 for Quick Show.

Amazing 7 Color Laser Projector with Special Effects ILDA PC DMX | eBay

I got another question.
When techhood mentions... (NEAR TEM) ... how near is near?
What model is the laser even at??

And how does whether its its model affect the beam and spot quality?
I understand at different orders of TEM , the spot is going to change accordingly, but what about "near TEM" ?
Laguerre-gaussian.png

ideas

perhaps you should ask the seller what he means with certain definitions/descriptions..

I have a laserlands RGB and it works well... I had to post a review on the laser but unfortunately I have been too busy this week and I wasn't able to actually start the review.
For my personal use it's a nice little object.
Here are some pics... review to come:

Norbyx,
I have the exact same unit. Unfortunately when mine warms up for a few seconds, the white shifts to yellow. I assume the green needs to be at a little lower power. I'm also assuming one of the three blue pots on that board might be able to help. I haven't messed with them yet. Just wondering if you have traced them out?