Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interest guage - 200mw 660nm red pointers...

H

High_Octane

O.K. my bad, I'm old... der and don't see so well, There is a second ring on it.
Crap... sorry.

H

High_Octane

Now that I have some glasses on, I have tried to adjust the outer ring,
and first off it has a green type glue on it.
It was much easier to adjust the focus using the inner ring.
Since I have moved the outer ring, Now the outer ring just spins while trying to only move the inner ring.
I can't seem to get it to focus at all now :(

Does someone make a special tool for this???

Gazoo

Yeah, that's why I did not move the outer ring on mine too much. Maybe if you move the outer ring counter clockwise, it will come up far enough to tighten against the top of the laser. Then you should be able to go back to adjusting the inner ring.

The tool is called a spanner wrench.

chimo

Gazoo, that's the part looking at the inside end.  Here it is from the front - sorry, the pic is a little blurry.

img3895smlpr2.jpg

Gazoo said:
[quote author=chimo link=1181654314/660#670 date=1191625690]Folks, turn the outer notched ring to focus.  The inner ring is only the lens retaining ring.

Well now I am totally confused. The inner part on mine is slotted, and when I turn it, it does focus. In fact I tried to remove it and it did come up about 1/4 of an inch but it would not turn any more when I reached that point so I stopped. The reason I wanted to remove it was to clean the other side as mine does have a few specks on the lens. But it is only noticeable when out of focus with a very large dot.

You posted a pic to the part I am referring to, but I don't see any slots on the lens housing. Or are is it slotted on the other side of the housing?

http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3894dq4.jpg[/quote]

yeah i only tried to turn the inner ring on it, but it seems to be really stiff, and i dont want to try and force it too much as knowing me, i'll slip and break something.

H

High_Octane

Moving the outer ring does nothing to adjust the focus for me? I just get a large blurry unchanging dot.

Gazoo

Chimo,
That is exactly how mine looks. Both rings have the adjusting slots in them...I have been adjusting the inner ring and I think that is the one we should be turning.

Gazoo

Biffter said:
yeah i only tried to turn the inner ring on it, but it seems to be really stiff, and i dont want to try and force it too much as knowing me, i'll slip and break something.

The inner ring will be stiff until you turn it out and in a few times. I can turn mine with my fingernail. If you are afraid of slipping, then take the laser to your hardware store and see if they have a spanner wrench that will fit it.

H

High_Octane

Gazoo said:
Chimo,
That is exactly how mine looks. Both rings have the adjusting slots in them...I have been adjusting the inner ring and I think that is the one we should be turning.

I have to agree, I may have to buy another one now, The inside adjustment wont turn at all anymore.

chimo

If there's only one lens, then turning the inner one could work, however, you run the risk of the lens falling out if it gets unscrewed too much.  The outer ring will not fully unscrew because of the body of the laser.  

Here's what I made to focus mine.
materials: plastic lid cut to circle with a hole in the middle, bulldog paper clip re-bent, hot-melt glue.

img0188smldg5.jpg

Gazoo

Looking through your pics I only see one lens. And as I posted previously, mine would not come out all of he way..this was the inner ring which houses the lens. I am not sure what the purpose is for the slots on the outer ring. The only thing that makes sense is it is used to house the lens housing.

Added..I think I get it now. The outer ring is nothing more than a sleeve for the lens housing. It is threaded so it would also focus the lens. However I think by turning it, one runs the rick of loosening the whole module. By turning the outer ring it puts more force on the module that just turning the inner ring.. :p

So my question would be what actually holds the whole module in place? Is it glued in or what?

sentorch1.jpg

sentorch2.jpg

thats what mine looks like, it doesn't look like the outer ring has been glued into the barrel properly.

Gazoo

They would only use a little bit of glue and that is what that green stuff is.

well it doesn't seem to be doing its job, as the outer ring is freely spinnnnnnning

Gazoo

The outer ring is supposed to turn. If you mean the whole module is spinning then that is a problem.