Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Inside the World's most powerful laser!

Another problem with NIF is that the laser must have a repetition rate of a few pulses per second, at the moment it's only capable of doing a shot every few hours...

Wavelength from the amp is 1054 nm, with third harmonic generation it is down to 351 nm (UV).

Nat Geo Article said:
"We didn't do it just to build the world's biggest laser," Moses explained.

^Yea riiiight.... If someone gave me a project to build a laser with that much money, I'd definitely build it to be the world's biggest (and most powerful)!:D

Last edited:
No, to light a match you would need. minimum of approx 6 million watts maintained for at least .001 seconds.

tonyt

"This was a quantum leap for laser technology around the world," NIF director Ed Moses said in September

I absolutely HATE when people use the phrase "quantum leap" when talking about a major step! Don't people know that quantum means incredibly small? and a quantum leap is a leap smaller than the diameter of a single atom??
Sorry, it is just one of my pet peevs.. I hear people say this type of thing all the time.

I think the expression "quantum leap" is meant to reflect that it's on an entirely different level, i.e. the next quanta, which isn't progressive, hence quantum, and hence leap. I believe it doesn't refer to the orders of magnitudes at the level quantum mechanics governs. Whether this person meant it that way when he said that beats me.

tonyt

I think the expression "quantum leap" is meant to reflect that it's on an entirely different level, i.e. the next quanta, which isn't progressive, hence quantum, and hence leap. I believe it doesn't refer to the orders of magnitudes at the level quantum mechanics governs. Whether this person meant it that way when he said that beats me.

In a way i agree with you, but 99% of people that use the phrase are using it to describe a large or massive leap or bound in technology, etc. Not in the way it really should be used.
You could even use it by saying something that travels from point A to point B instantaneously without passing through any of the points between A and B.
This is the classical definition of the term in quantum physics.

Spooky

Being classically educated in Particle Physics I feel your pain Tony :)

When used to describe anything other than sub atomic particles I have the urge to strangle people :)

best wishes

Dave

Ninja

Lockheed Martin Demonstrates Weapons Grade High Power Fiber Laser

BOTHELL, Wash., Jan. 28, 2014 – Lockheed Martin has demonstrated a 30-kilowatt electric fiber laser, the highest power ever documented while retaining beam quality and electrical efficiency.

The internally funded research and development program culminated in this demonstration, which was achieved by combining many fiber lasers into a single, near-perfect quality beam of light—all while using approximately 50 percent less electricity than alternative solid-state laser technologies. The unique process, called Spectral Beam Combining, sends beams from multiple fiber laser modules, each with a unique wavelength, into a combiner that forms a single, powerful, high quality beam.

“Lockheed Martin has opened the aperture for high power, electrically driven laser systems suitable for military applications,” said Dr. Ray O. Johnson, senior vice president and chief technology officer of Lockheed Martin. “Advancements in available laser components, along with the maturity and quality of our innovative beam-combining technology, support our goal of providing lightweight and rugged laser weapon systems for use on military platforms such as aircraft, helicopters, ships and trucks.”

The successful demonstration marks a significant milestone on the path to deploying a mission-relevant laser weapon system for a wide range of air, land and sea military platforms.

Prior laser weapon demonstrations in the industry showed target acquisition, tracking and destruction. However, these solutions were limited for tactical military use because their laser inefficiencies drove significant size, power and cooling needs not readily supported by key military ground and airborne platforms.

“The high-energy laser serves as the heart of a laser weapon system,” said Dr. Johnson. “This 30-kilowatt milestone shows our commitment to producing the high beam quality and high power needed to address a variety of military ‘speed-of-light’ defensive operations.”

Lockheed Martin has specialized in directed energy laser weapon system development for the past 30 years and purchased Aculight in 2008 to further strengthen its offerings at every level—from expert advice and pioneering research to solid prototyping and flexible manufacturing.