Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Input needed

power s 1.jpgHello all, please don't bash me to hard I'm new to the hobby in all the important aspects of lasers, but I have been an enthusiast for decades. My specialty is machining and have reached an age that I have time to pursue the interest. I jumped in head first and bought a 2.3 watt 445 from Survival lasers and was amazed since this was my first ever hand and eyes (through the 190-540 nm od4+ goggles) on. I have been reading a lot on the forum so I honestly hope I don't come across as a complete idiot. I just picked up this power supply for a song on ebay and my question is, 1st is it even capable of driving a laser diode, 2nd if so which one should I start with. All input is appreciated. :thanks:

AnthoT

First off its good to know you have safety goggles :beer:
And about that driver, do you have the link where you bought it because that would help people figure it out :)
-Anthony

AnthoT

yes thats what i needed to help you. Based on the sellers description it is a constant current driver with adjustable output voltage and adjustable output current.
If you plan on using this driver you will most certainly need a test load or dummy load to set the output current and for this driver the voltage too. After setting the driver to 5.5V - 6V and an output current of 1.7Amps - 1.8 Amps you could use this for your 2W+ 445nm laser :beer:

Hope i could help :)

-Anthony

Last edited:
-Module Properties: Non-isolated step-down / Buck charge module;constant voltage module(CC CV) charging module
-Input Voltage:DC 7~35 V
-Output Voltage:DC 1.25~30 V ( adjustable, continuous output )
-Max output Current: 3A (if output power more than 15w,you can plug heat sink)
-Constant Range:0-3A (adjustable)
-Turn lamps current:CC value*(0.1),CC value will change with Turn lamp current.
-The minimum voltage difference: 2V
-Output Power:Natural cooling 15W, 25W with heat sink
-Convert Efficiency: Max 90% (higher Output voltage, higher efficiency)
-Output Ripple: 20M Bandwidth(Just reference ) input 12 V output 5 V 3 A 60 mV (MAX)
-Full Load temperature rise:45℃
-No-load Current: Typical 10mA
-Load Regulation: ± 1%
-Voltage Regulation rate: ± 0.5%
-Dynamic response speed: 5% 200uS
-Potentiometer adjustment direction: clockwise (increase), counterclockwise (decrease) ,Close to the input potentiometer is voltage regulation(CV), close to the output potentiometer is current regulation(CC)
-Indicator light:RED(charging);GREEN(finish charging)
-Output Short-circuit Protection: Yes, Constant current
-Input Reverse Protection: YES
-Output prevent reflux: YES, output have internally series against a prevent the diodes.
-Operating temperature: Industrial grade (-40 ℃ to +85 ℃) (ambient temperature exceeds 40 degrees, lower power use, or to enhance heat dissipation)
-Wiring way: welding, add pin can be weldinged directly in PCB
-Size: 49 x 23.4 x 11.4 mm ( L*W*H )not include potentiometer

AnthoT

yes well the diode is up to you. A M-140 diode set at 1.5 Amps with a G2 lens would work good with this but make sure you set the output current to 1.5 Amps not 3 Amps because the diodes are a little pricey to risk ruining.
DTR has M-140 diodes for 45$ and G2 lenses :)

-Anthony

lman

Ok, since the driver is adjustable it will work. Are you planing on doing a lab build?

Yes, I thought that would be a good place to start. That way I can see the working parts.:thinking: