Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Infrared laser pointers?

Ive been looking around for an infrared laser pointer, and am somewhat confused. Ive read other threads from people saying the relatively cheap ones available online are nowhere close to being as powerful as they are advertised, but there have been studies done that say these cheap lasers are MUCH more powerful than they are advertised, so Im not sure which is correct.

Im also looking for any advice as to the best place to order an infrared laser pointer, all the ones Ive been looking at seem to be coming from China, so not sure how that works.

thanks!

Ive been looking around for an infrared laser pointer, and am somewhat confused. Ive read other threads from people saying the relatively cheap ones available online are nowhere close to being as powerful as they are advertised, but there have been studies done that say these cheap lasers are MUCH more powerful than they are advertised, so Im not sure which is correct.

Im also looking for any advice as to the best place to order an infrared laser pointer, all the ones Ive been looking at seem to be coming from China, so not sure how that works.

thanks!
First...
It would be appreciated if you would introduce
yourself to the members in the Welcome section
so that members can learn a little about you.

It would also be helpful to members if you included
your Global location in your Profile...

Members are more likely to answer question of
someone they know a little about...:yh:

2nd...
Why do you need an IR Laser that you can't see
the beam or beam spot...:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:
Most Chinese pointers that claim to be 5 mW are over spec. This is quite a bit different than saying you can get a high powered IR laser from the Chinese. If you want a high powered IR pointer, your best bet is to build one. You can get a 1 watt 808nm TO-5 diode and press it into a 12mm module. Add a driver set at the appropriate current for the diode and put it in a host.

Then you will have a 1 watt IR pointer, which will be far less visible than any other 1 watt laser you might have seen. Very dangerous for your eyesight.

Encap

First...

2nd...

Jerry

Excellent points.

rstevens: What IR wavelength are you are looking for and what is your application?

First...

2nd...

Jerry

Most Chinese pointers that claim to be 5 mW are over spec. This is quite a bit different than saying you can get a high powered IR laser from the Chinese. If you want a high powered IR pointer, your best bet is to build one. You can get a 1 watt 808nm TO-5 diode and press it into a 12mm module. Add a driver set at the appropriate current for the diode and put it in a host.

Then you will have a 1 watt IR pointer, which will be far less visible than any other 1 watt laser you might have seen. Very dangerous for your eyesight.

Excellent points.

rstevens: What IR wavelength are you are looking for and what is your application?

Hopefully not the string cutting game!!! Been awhile since weve seen that one.
But yes ir is very dangerous!!

I wonder if these two are related? https://laserpointerforums.com/f44/...f-defense-against-bear-moose-even-102302.html

I can't seem to follow your link, steve. I have tried it a couple different ways without success.

I can't seem to follow your link, steve. I have tried it a couple different ways without success.

Looks like that first post by a new member named None has been deleted. They asked of it is possible to build a non lethal directed energy device that could slow down and cause an intense burning feeling in muscular tissue when directed at bears and moose.

Last edited:
YEESHHH! What is the deal with all the weapon questions? When I think lasers, the last thing that comes to mind is a weapon. I somehow missed out on the bear and moose paralyzing weapon, but is along these same lines. The only thing I can think of would be lethal anyway.

As listed in my sig, I've got an 60mW 980nm IR laser. It was on ebay as "5mW", cost about 6$. If you order one off ebay its pretty much certain it will not be 5 mW and will be overspec by some amount. Theres really no consistency at all.

Last edited:
2nd...

Jerry
I will definitely post a thread in the welcome forum, just trying to get a feel for this board first. I live near Cincinnati, OH, Im pretty mechanically inclined, but have not worked with lasers or pointers before, I have a fair amount of electronics experience though.

Im planning an experiment, and actually needing an IR laser pointer and a regular laser pointer...let me explain what happened first...

About 3 months ago, I woke up overnight to go to the bathroom, it was raining and thunderstorming outside when I got up, before going back to bed I glanced out my bedroom window, and I noticed a light in the sky, as i looked closer, it was actually 3 separate lights that would all start from a center point, spread out, and then rotate in a clockwise rotation, then they would all re-start from the center again, I watched it do this numerous times over and over again, at first I thought it was some of those large advertising lights they shine up into the sky for special events, but this was at 4am and they were not coming from a source on the ground, whatever they were attached to, it was in the low clouds, but these lights were shining thru.

Ive seen this same thing about 4-5 times since then, always in the same general location, but at different times of the night, and only when there are dense cloud cover.

I talked to a few people I know about this, and someone suggested I try to signal it somehow, just to see what happens. the person I spoke to, claimed IR may be more effective, but I want to have both types on hand and try both.

I would be doing this from a 2nd floor window and Im estimating whatever the lights are attached to, it is roughly about 200-300ft up, sometimes lower, just depends on the cloud cover, Ive seen the lights as low as 100ft when conditions are right.

Ive never seen the outline of a craft or any part of something that tells me its a craft, but the lights are definitely in a pattern and they do move, so whatever they are attached to, is moving.

Thanks for all the help, I look forward to talking more on here.

Be careful what you wish for

sigpic47839_6.gif

No, really, they are real and you might find they have a book "to serve man" onboard.

Well, space is a very big place and I don't think we are alone in it, speed of light limitation doesn't include how fast space itself can be manipulated to move, but you've read my comments on that subject before :p