Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Info On How To Build a Laser?

Hey all! I'm planning on building a 1.5-2W laser. I'm about to order all the materials but I need some advice on actually how to put it together. Here is the list of materials that I know I'm using:

- 5.6mm Module (Copper)

- 445nm M140 Diode (1.5 - 2W)

- 405-445nm Three Element Glass lens

- 1.8 amp X-Drive V6

- Copper Heatsink

I'm currently trying to find a focus adapter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do I need to buy any wire to put this together? Is there any "programing" of the driver involved? If so, what do I need?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!

ARG

Jeff (FlamingPyro) has great custom focus adaptors, if you don't want to use the standard one.

You're going to need wire to hook up the driver to the batteries and to hook up the driver to the diode. Jeff also sells quality wire.

There is no programming of the driver, don't worry ;)

PS in case you don't already know you're going to need a host that fits two li-ion cells for the X-Drive.

Last edited:

DTR

I do also offer an X-Drive 445 dropin if you don't feel that comfortable with soldering. They are all wired up and just need to be connected into the host you choose. No wire needed.:beer:

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes

P10194951.jpg

For the focus adapters as stated above check out Flaminpyro. He makes some of the best.:beer:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-custom-focus-rings-any-build-52448.html#post730873

Jeff (FlamingPyro) has great custom focus adaptors, if you don't want to use the standard one.

You're going to need wire to hook up the driver to the batteries and to hook up the driver to the diode. Jeff also sells quality wire.

There is no programming of the driver, don't worry ;)

PS in case you don't already know you're going to need a host that fits two li-ion sells for the X-Drive.

Awesome! I have contacted FlamingPyro about both the heatsink and the focus adapter. Hoping to hear from him soon! Is there a good thread or tutorial that you could reccomend that would explain how to hook up the wires to the batteries, driver, and diode? Also, do I NEED a host in order to operate the laser or is it just a luxury? I'm getting the module, but I wasn't sure if I needed a host as well.

And whew, I was really worried I was going to have to learn how to program something!

Thanks so much guys!

I do also offer an X-Drive 445 dropin if you don't feel that comfortable with soldering. They are all wired up and just need to be connected into the host you choose. No wire needed.:beer:

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes

P10194951.jpg

For the focus adapters as stated above check out Flaminpyro. He makes some of the best.:beer:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-custom-focus-rings-any-build-52448.html#post730873

Thanks DTR! That would be awesome except that I want to learn how to do it all myself. Soldering and everything. But I would definately appreciate a link to a detailed tutorial that explains putting everything together (Including wires, heatsink, host etc)

Thanks again! :)

ARG

Awesome! I have contacted FlamingPyro about both the heatsink and the focus adapter. Hoping to hear from him soon! Is there a good thread or tutorial that you could reccomend that would explain how to hook up the wires to the batteries, driver, and diode? Also, do I NEED a host in order to operate the laser or is it just a luxury? I'm getting the module, but I wasn't sure if I needed a host as well.

And whew, I was really worried I was going to have to learn how to program something!

Thanks so much guys!

Glad you've got that worked out with Jeff.

Hooking up the batteries, diode and driver is fairly simple.
  1. Solder wires onto the driver input and output
  2. Solder the output of the driver onto the diode pins (remember to short the output wire before putting it on the diode!)
  3. Solder the input of the driver onto your battery holder

You don't need a host to have a working laser, you can go without or just use a project box. There are cheap hosts out there though, such as the C6 and it makes the build look much cleaner.