Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

In need of itty bitty driver

I've been thinking of building a very slim pen. Something to run on 2 AAAAs. Of course this will require a narrow driver. I saved a driver from a cheap 5mw-ish Alpec pen. But I have higher power ambition. I'd love to use something green like a PL520.

Here's a few pics of this miniature at around 7mm. Could this PCB be turned into something to drive a PL520?

Thanks folks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpg
    IMG_4728.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4729.jpg
    IMG_4729.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4734.jpg
    IMG_4734.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4737.jpg
    IMG_4737.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 45

Rivem

No. Not likely for 520 as that driver likely isn't made for that high of an output voltage. You'd absolutely need a boost driver to use AAA alkalines since 520 requires over 5V and the 3 provided wouldn't cut it.

Either way, 10440s are better not only with higher voltage but better performance under load than small alkalines like AAA and smaller.

You could use a boost driver like this with less than 5V (one li ion or two AAAs):
https://innolasers.com/shop/index.php?id_product=9&controller=product

You could use a bucking driver for higher quality with two 10440s:
https://innolasers.com/shop/index.php?id_product=8&controller=product

You could use a linear reg for less efficiency and performance at a lower cost in the same situation:
https://innolasers.com/shop/index.php?id_product=10&controller=product

Edit: I guess the Flexdrive isn't a good choice since input voltage is listed below two lithium cells. Which would be needed. Was almost certain I've used it like that, but maybe not.

Last edited:
How about this driver? Was the only boost driver I can find in stock of known quality. Don't know the exact size on this one but the voltage range should work for that diode.
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/laser-drivers/nano-buck-boost-drivers
Only downside is the current is set by bridging set resistors which limits the current options to the following depending on which option:
Option 1: 275mA/520mA/1.1A
Option 2: 350mA/470mA/610mA
I know I like my Lazeerer x-boost but I am not sure that they can be found anymore.
Microboostdrives were good too but again, good luck finding one. There is a serious boost driver famine going on as everyone wants buck drivers for all the higher powered diodes.

Thx, Rivem. Yeah I was lookin at those and Lazeerer's nano buck/boost... I just wish there was a way to replace these driver components with other stuff on the traces...

Hi, SGD,
Check out Flamingpyro on DTR site , he has an X Switch set at 320ma . Don't know if he is still around but his site is still active.

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Flaminpyro is still around, just not sure how often he checks his PM's. I just talked to him a couple of weeks ago regarding a purchase.

How about this driver? Was the only boost driver I can find in stock of known quality. Don't know the exact size on this one but the voltage range should work for that diode.
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/laser-drivers/nano-buck-boost-drivers
Only downside is the current is set by bridging set resistors which limits the current options to the following depending on which option:
Option 1: 275mA/520mA/1.1A
Option 2: 350mA/470mA/610mA
I know I like my Lazeerer x-boost but I am not sure that they can be found anymore.
Microboostdrives were good too but again, good luck finding one. There is a serious boost driver famine going on as everyone wants buck drivers for all the higher powered diodes.
Probably so. Yeah it's cool to see that driver in two versions. Awesome little driver. I've been meaning to ask DTR if the Lazeerer drivers are in active production or if he just has s@#t tons to flood the demands. Cause if they are produced, wonder what's up with x-boost. I want those badly.

Hi BT,
Yes he is spotty at times, but if you spoke with Jeff i guess he is still active to a point. Thanks .. The X Switch at 320ma is still available on his site ..

Rich:)

Has the production line of Lazeerer drivers been abdicated? I see lots of sold out candy slots :cryyy:
I understand people have lives outside of laser hobbies. I thought of improvising by adhering a solitary PCB tactile switch to the side of a nano driver. This might be more of a sure thing, as far as switched drivers go. What ya'll think?

Rivem

Most people that use the Laser66 hosts buy the switch PCB and solder a connection between the switch PCB and driver. Look at some of the Laser66 build guides on the forum.

diachi

Most people that use the Laser66 hosts buy the switch PCB and solder a connection between the switch PCB and driver. Look at some of the Laser66 build guides on the forum.

Yup, I recommend getting the complete set, makes life easier.

Here's one I did earlier! :p

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/pen-build-laser66-host-ndb7242e-445nm-60mw-100087.html

Hoped to do a 515nm build in one of these hosts but the boost driver ended up being too long to fit with the button board, end-to-end.

Last edited:

Rivem

Yup, I recommend getting the complete set, makes life easier.

Here's one I did earlier! :p

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/pen-build-laser66-host-ndb7242e-445nm-60mw-100087.html

Hoped to do a 515nm build in one of these hosts but the boost driver ended up being too long to fit with the button board, end-to-end.

The switch board is mostly useless, so I've cut it before. You really just need the switch and its contacts as well as the rear contacts, so some space can be saved by cutting what you don't use.

Edit: Just realized I'm on my last pen driver in my stash. :(
Don't know what I'll use it on.

Last edited:

diachi

The switch board is mostly useless, so I've cut it before. You really just need the switch and its contacts as well as the rear contacts, so some space can be saved by cutting what you don't use.

Edit: Just realized I'm on my last pen driver in my stash. :(
Don't know what I'll use it on.

That's true, good point! I was also cramming a 3mm LED and a 1/8W(?) resistor in there. Moving to 0805 resistors and LEDs for future builds, so space should be less of an issue then. :beer:

Yeah that's how it started. I had a leadlight rig running but the switch quit after two weeks. I've tried reaching mr. Roberts to get another PCB without luck. One day I'll resurrect that host.

Last edited:
That little driver board you saved looks more like an LED driver than a CC source. It is probably just that...repurposed. As far as Innolasers goes, it is run by one guy who is very difficult to get a message returned and they often take loooong periods of time getting your items to you. I tried to purchase from them before, but couldn't get a response....even on his phone.