Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IMREN 18650 High Drain Battery

IWIRE

I've been looking for the best 18650 for a high current application. It's a single 18650 build that pulls approx. 6a. So far I have tested Panasonic, Efest, Sony, LG and Imren,all of them are the high drain versions. The Imren has the lowest internal resistance and maintains the highest battery voltage under load.
It's hard to beat the Panasonic 3400 as far as capacity and is probably still one of the best batteries for normal load builds. IMHO. If you are looking for a battery that can deliver high current and maintain the highest battery voltage, the Imren is the best battery for that application I have found yet. Right now I'm doing a discharge test to see if the capacity is close to what is stated. Suppose to be 2600mah.
I just wasn't familiar with this brand of battery and thought I'd share my findings. YMMV. :beer:

I am curious to see if the capacity is as stated. I am currently looking for some batteries that are somewhat true to the stated mah. These gtl are stated at 2300mah and are only holding 230mah. I know they are junk batteries. Hopefully you will post your results before sunday night when I plan on buying some batteries

DTR

Have you tried AW IMR cells.

IMR18650-1600 Specifications :

Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 1600mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 4.5A )
Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
Max. continuous discharge rate : 15C
Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius

IMR18650 -2000 Specifications :

Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 2000mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 2A )
Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
Max. continuous discharge rate : 10A
Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius

I also have some MNKE IMR18650's they work really will in a SXB boost build that draws 4-6A. They are rated for 15A.
http://www.lighthound.com/MNKE-IMR-18650-1500mAh-Rechargeable-Battery_p_4301.html

Last edited:

IWIRE

Hey Shady. The capacity of the cell is as stated, or really darn close to it. It was so close that I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
I had the same problem with GTL batteries that you have found.

Thanks for the info DTR. I appreciate it. I was having trouble finding the AW IMR18650's. I have some of the AW batteries in other sizes and they are great. I hadn't heard of MNKE. Thanks for the link. I'll have to get a couple and see how they work for me.

I know stuff I got by with in 3a builds. Sure don't work in 6a builds. :crackup:
Switches, hosts, batteries. All of it is pushing components pretty hard and there is no margin for error. It's worth finding what works though. When she fires up it is a beautiful amazing sight. :)

The new leaders for high current drain #18650 cells . . .

are new Nickel/Manganese chemistry.

Panasonic has their 10 amp current drain cells @ true 2900mah (4.2 VDC charging)
(Link Below)

LG has an even better cell, but it requires a 4.35 VDC charger.

I have both of these cells @ $11.95 ppd in the cont. U.S.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

IWIRE

Hey Larry ! Now there's a man that knows batteries ! :) Glad you showed up. :)
The Panasonic I previously had the best luck with of the batteries I had on hand was a Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mah 10a high drain. It worked a lot better than the regular Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah that I had been using. It would at least keep my battery monitor green. (Blue is the highest voltage)
Then I got an Efest 35a 2500mah, LG LGDBHE21865 35a 2500mah and this Imren 38a 2600mah. From those choices the Efest tested the lowest, then the LG. I was kind of worried about the Imren just because the label on the battery looked so crazy :crackup: It wound up being the best of all of them I tested. For the first time my battery monitor actually lights up blue :)
I'm going to order a couple of the batteries DTR suggested . Once I get on one of these missions I can't leave any rock unturned :)
Is the LG battery I tried the same one your talking about ? It's pretty amazing what they have these little batteries doing. I don't think I'd want to hold any of them in my hand and try to pull 35a out of one :) But still pretty amazing to me. I'm easily amazed though :crackup:
REP +1 Larry ! Thanks for the battery info ! :beer:

The Panasonic I previously had the best luck with of the batteries I had on hand was a Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mah 10a high drain. It worked a lot better than the regular Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah that I had been using. It would at least keep my battery monitor green. (Blue is the highest voltage)
. . .
Is the LG battery I tried the same one your talking about ? It's pretty amazing what they have these little batteries doing.

I have the NCR18650PF Panny cells.

The LG cell is a different LG hi-output current cell with more capacity.

It has a higher voltage output,

at the 6 amp current draw you are looking for.

And it will maintain that level longer.

LarryDFW

Last edited: