Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Import 50mw Yellow into Ontario, CA?

So, I've never actually imported a fully built pointer into Ontario, Canada before. I'm not even certain it's legal to do so, and I'm looking for advice in this area. I've always purchased the parts, hosts, and bar stock and milled the pointer myself, done some testing, and later disassembled the pointer to stay within local laws.

But as I have absolutely zero skill (and I highly doubt many of us here do...) with DPSS and/or 589nm light sources...

What are the chances, legally of having a 50mw pointer seized... And as I could not disassemble a DPSS light source, what are the legal issues owning a 50mw 589nm pointer in Ontario, Canada, if anyone knows...

Any pointers on my best chance to source? I hope I'm not toe-ing any lines here.

So, I've never actually imported a fully built pointer into Ontario, Canada before. I'm not even certain it's legal to do so, and I'm looking for advice in this area. I've always purchased the parts, hosts, and bar stock and milled the pointer myself, done some testing, and later disassembled the pointer to stay within local laws.

But as I have absolutely zero skill (and I highly doubt many of us here do...) with DPSS and/or 589nm light sources...

What are the chances, legally of having a 50mw pointer seized... And as I could not disassemble a DPSS light source, what are the legal issues owning a 50mw 589nm pointer in Ontario, Canada, if anyone knows...

Any pointers on my best chance to source? I hope I'm not toe-ing any lines here.
Why are you asking members? Surely you can search out the answers just as easily.

Better to find someone outside of the USA or Canada to ship to you, then have them disassemble it and ship to you with some other goodies.

Yup... That's what I was thinking as well Chris.
Could also ship 2 packages with each holding
just half the unit as Repair Parts.

Jerry

Encap

Arcygenical: In case you do not know what the legal situation is with handheld lasers over 5mW in output in Canada here is the readout from Justin VP of Laserglow.

Canada Health/Canada Customs are not untrained fools, they are serious adults doing a job and they would not appreciate people playing silly pretend games about high powered lasers. They enforce Canada's laws, rules , and regualtions.
See: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...adiation/hand-held-lasers-laser-pointers.html

"Quick summary: As of June 2011, it is illegal to sell or provide high-powered portable lasers (Class 3B and Class 4) to consumers in Canada. That means you.

Before the inevitable discussion starts: It doesn't matter what you intend to use them for, or that you already have one, or whether you think that you're not a "consumer" because you think you're a "laser expert", hobbyist, inventor, or whatever. If you are not a scientist working in a laser lab at a University, or a CLSO, or an OEM which is integrating these lasers into other devices for commercial purposes, then you are a consumer. If your organization's primary activity does not involve high-powered lasers, then you are a consumer. If you do not have a clearly-defined commercial or academic requirement for a high-powered portable device, which cannot be fulfilled with a lower-powered or non-portable device, then you are a consumer. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, as far as Health Canada is concerned, every person on this forum is probably a consumer.

The actual regulation which was implemented in June 2011 is called the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA)

Specifically, in Section 2 they define "danger to human health or safety”:

“danger to human health or safety” means any unreasonable hazard — existing or potential — that is posed by a consumer product during or as a result of its normal or foreseeable use and that may reasonably be expected to cause the death of an individual exposed to it or have an adverse effect on that individual’s health — including an injury — whether or not the death or adverse effect occurs immediately after the exposure to the hazard, and includes any exposure to a consumer product that may reasonably be expected to have a chronic adverse effect on human health.

Now, whether you agree with them or not, Health Canada has classified all portable Class 3B and 4 lasers as "a danger to human health or safety", as defined by the CCPSA. There is no debate to be made about this, it's done and there's little chance of getting them to change their minds.

What does this mean for the Canadian laser industry and Canadian laser purchasers?:
-If you attempt to import a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher you can expect to have it seized, as we have seen already.
-If you attempt to sell or make available a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher, Health Canada has an incredible array of powers to utilize against you, including product seizure, mandatory recall, huge fines, etc.

Note, it doesn't need to be a sale. Giving one of these to your brother for free would be considered a violation.

The Act specifies that nobody may make available to the public a hazardous device of any kind. Therefore, if you build one, as a hobbyist, and sell it or give it away, you are in violation of the Act. Kits are covered in the definition of a "consumer product". So, no kits, importing or selling kits for high-powered portable lasers would violate the Act, also. You've been warned!

By Justin Hosaki Vice President of Sales and Operations LaserglowTechnologies, Canada see thread :http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/c...rs-official-info-release-laserglow-73129.html

There are ways, and there are ways to get anything you want.

Encap

There are ways, and there are ways to get anything you want.
Yeah sure there are ways.
It is good to know what you are up against and generally be aware of the laws, rules, and regulations in your Country, however.
Best legal way is to build one for yourself. In this case the guy wants yellow so that is not going to happen.

Edit: If he orders from Dragon Lasers which has the lowest price for a 50mW 589nm, Dragon states "Dragon lasers guarantees the receipt of your order so if you do not receive your order, we will either provide a full refund or send you a replacement free of charge. " So...

Last edited: