Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm building a laser and I need help on what diode I should use/order?

These are the parts i'm using.

1) this is the driver Amazon.com: 1W 445nm blue laser diode driver / 405nm laser driver: Everything Else

2)this is the Resistor Amazon.com: 4.3 Ohm 1/2W Flameproof Resistor 10 Pcs.: Musical Instruments

This is what I'm using as a guide
Amazing Lasers! - Cheapy Lighter Laser Burner! - YouTube

but i have no idea what diode to use to make it burn stuff like in the video and idk what's compatible. It would be great if you guys could help out and point me in the right direction with links to parts I could use and answers as to why it works why is something compatible and why something isn't. Thanks in advance.

i say you dont follow anything from kipkay. you will break it within a few minutes of using. that laser will have no heat sink what so ever so diode will burn out right away. build a proper laser or buy one if you cant

EDIT: if you notice, he says dont point at anyone living or whatever yet he is pointing right at himself and you can clearly see he has no safety glasses on. the guy is a freakin idiot and if you follow any guide by him then you are too, just saying

also if you dont believe me, he was a member here (profile found HERE) and if you notice he has a LARGE negative rep. also hasnt been on here since 2011 since he kept posting useless crap

Last edited:
Yeah, Ignore everything about Kipkay, read around here for ALL the information you need

Heatsinking the diode and module is a must or it will overheat and die

Would the driver I have work with anything then? since it outputs too much?
and If i can't make that driver work where can I buy a laser that burns stuff?

Also for the rest of you guys yeah I'm kinda clueless when it comes to lasers at the moment i'm actually glad I came here before winging it. I had a feeling there was a bit more to it and yes I noticed he wasn't wearing safety glasses and he was pointing it right at himself xD

It would work with a M140 diode, click in the orange links in my sig to find out where you can buy parts for a host/heatsinks the driver is quite large so you would need a big host

if you want a PROPER how to video on building a real laser then go to the yellow link in my signature. it also has information about saftey, where to get parts, shipping information, good contacts for questions and machinist for parts. well and the video.

Unfortunately KipKay got a lot of attention and draws people into lasers the bad way. Lucky for you, you posted about it prior to building so saved yourself the time and hassle which would turn into a dead laser. BTW to build a proper laser, its going to cost a little bit so forget the concept of lasers being cheap, kipkay lied about that too!

You will find all the information about building lasers here and if not, search for it using the search bar at the bottom of the page. if that doesnt work then ask one of us