Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ILT Laser Gimbals - In need to replace in ILT-5425

Hello..

I have two ILT Lasers, an ILT-5500 which is working and also an ILT-5425.

My ILT-5425 is in need of a replacement gimbal for the HR end.

From the attached image, this is noted as (3).

I have tried to contact Midwest Laser Productions, although not sure if they still around and have not yet had a response.

Would anyone perhaps have some spares / know where I may be able to get one as the laser will not hold alignment without it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ILT Laser Gimbal Assy.jpg
    ILT Laser Gimbal Assy.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 61

diachi

Doesn't VK2FRO have a bunch of ILTs sitting around now? Maybe he's got a broken unit with a spare gimbal? Talking of him, haven't seen him around in a while...

Encap

Hello Encap,

Having a look at the above company I think they are different. ILT Laser was "Ion Laser Technology".

I have also just come across another company whom also does repairs on these lasers:

Ion Laser Technology (ILT) - Laser Repair - Replacement Tubes - Dynamic Laser

Hopefully may get a response crossing fingers :)

Thanks

LOL Sorry --just caught that---is coincidental they are a laser company and make an ILT 5000 product also

Found a manual with parts diagram and refurbish notes by Midwest laser for the ILT 5425 --- shows your mirror assembly here: https://neurophysics.ucsd.edu/Manuals/Ion%20Laser%20Technology/Ion%20Laser%20Technology%20ILT%205000.pdf

Good luck with getting replacement parts.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how did THAT part manage to fail? I would have expected the HR mirror to have problems before this mount.

LOL Sorry --just caught that---is coincidental they are a laser company and make an ILT 5000 product also

Found a manual with parts diagram and refurbish notes by Midwest laser for the ILT 5425 --- shows your mirror assembly here: https://neurophysics.ucsd.edu/Manuals/Ion%20Laser%20Technology/Ion%20Laser%20Technology%20ILT%205000.pdf

Good luck with getting replacement parts.

Hello Encap,

It would be interesting to see what metal they are made.. I have a feeling they may be Invar or something exotic as was thinking can always see if someone could make one.. but would be $$$.

Hopefully one will turn up at some point in time.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how did THAT part manage to fail? I would have expected the HR mirror to have problems before this mount.

Hey Paul,

I originally purchased the laser second-hand and was working at the time, the mount / gimbal at the time was already very weak

I decided to power it up after a number of years the other week, there was a beam, but weak. Tweaking the adjustment on the rear did very little, but as was warming up, the power level was dropping.. I tried to pick it up, but found that the gimbal had finally given way.

The tube will be a sealed design with Brewster Windows, the mirrors are mounted externally, generally these would remain good. The Omni /60x series of Argon Laser, they had a little cover between the mirror and Brewster that was connected to a little canister of desiccant.

I love gas lasers with Brewster windows. I saw that the mirrors are separate. I guess getting it used, you have no idea of its history. Might be a difficult part to find. I wish you good luck.

vk2fro

Doesn't VK2FRO have a bunch of ILTs sitting around now? Maybe he's got a broken unit with a spare gimbal? Talking of him, haven't seen him around in a while...

I am still around and unfortunately I don't have any spare gimbals as both my ILT's and their PSU's work. I just haven't had time recently to play with lasers recently (even tho my pointer is sitting right in front of me, with the battery removed). I have the transformer for my controller, but haven't even had the time to fit that to make the unit go.

In a few weeks I will have a much larger work area in my apartment to have the ions set up permanently near the ham radios, and at present the radio situation is what I am working on - my antenna's are in a sorry state of disrepair :)

Due to having a housemate I have to be doubly careful with eye safety, he isn't interested in lasers, but that doesn't preclude me from ensuring he is not struck by an errant beam, especially from a 300mW ion. It would be fairly selfish of me to ask him to wear safety glasses while he's trying to watch TV, while I'm playing with the ions with their fans roaring away in the same room. I will simply have to play lasers while he is out visiting friends, which is fairly often :)

kecked

I stopped out to ILT in Utah a few years back well 10 or so and they were still there. There is a guy selling one on PL.