Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If you care about lasers and your right to own and import them, READ THIS!!!!

madog

Well I will start the nominating with three names; Daguin, Elektrofreak, and LSRFAQ. While I am sure that all three are busy individuals, that doesn't mean that there is nothing that they can do, right? And, while I may not have the experience or knowledge of our wonderful hobby, I would be willing to do what I can to preserve it. If we all do what we can, and stand together, it would make us more likely to achieve our goals, right?

Trevor

I meant that part of the reason that lasers are having this crackdown brought is due to a lack of respect for - and the ensuing misuse of - lasers.

-Trevor

I do want to refresh people's memories about the fact that Steve (LSRFAQ) has offered to help this effort through contact with people he knows who may be able to get official recognition (dependent on many factors) due to their position in the field. I will discuss the finer details of that with Steve, but the first thing we need IMO is some willing representatives.

A few names were tossed out before, Daguin, myself and LSRFAQ. Not a bad start, but honestly I think people like Jayrob, Yobresal, Ehgemus, Mohrenberg et. al. might be even more well-suited. They represent true American portable laser enthusiasts, but more importantly they represent *responsible* people with a valid interest in lasers as a hobby. They represent the sort of people that put the best faces on our hobby.

And when I see BS like this i get really tick off .. Laser Beams: Los Angeles Aircraft Become High Targets for Laser Beams - ktla.com

Many of these so called "high Power" Laser turn out to be super bright LED's as well and low MW laser that sold for toys to play with you cat. Many turn out to be ones sold off Crags list or at local flea Markets that imported from Mexico that come in from places unknown but most like China. None are the high end technical type lasers or high MW -watt lasers sold to hobbyist or labs tech.

Talking with FAA all laser taken but for one are laser pointer pens under 5mw and the one that was higher was a stage laser lighting system that had been stolen and the thief was trying to blind the Police helicopter. many of these people pointing at plans are kind 12 to 15 that know nothing of what the laser is and if you ask them they say its just bright LED and have no real clue as to what real laser is and can do. science in schools are lacking very deeply if a kid can tell the difference between a laser and LED light.
Adult that been caught are one of two type Dumb a$$ felon type or just dumb drunks thinking it would be cool to point the bright shiny light up at a plan.. Oh for real phaser for those lots ..ZAP!

AS long as reports keep coming in like this we are going to see lawmakers looking to ban sales of the lasers and we need to do something but @!#@!#!# here online..
I have no time due to work but can post and help some who want to contact lawmakers .. I have walked the halls of the Calif state capitol many of time fore other causes and I know how to dig in and get to fighting but the first step is find the right people and to get them on your side and its starts with education of the facts.

CC

And when I see BS like this i get really tick off .. Laser Beams: Los Angeles Aircraft Become High Targets for Laser Beams - ktla.com

Many of these so called "high Power" Laser turn out to be super bright LED's as well and low MW laser that sold for toys to play with you cat. Many turn out to be ones sold off Crags list or at local flea Markets that imported from Mexico that come in from places unknown but most like China. None are the high end technical type lasers or high MW -watt lasers sold to hobbyist or labs tech.

Talking with FAA all laser taken but for one are laser pointer pens under 5mw and the one that was higher was a stage laser lighting system that had been stolen and the thief was trying to blind the Police helicopter. many of these people pointing at plans are kind 12 to 15 that know nothing of what the laser is and if you ask them they say its just bright LED and have no real clue as to what real laser is and can do. science in schools are lacking very deeply if a kid can tell the difference between a laser and LED light.
Adult that been caught are one of two type Dumb a$$ felon type or just dumb drunks thinking it would be cool to point the bright shiny light up at a plan.. Oh for real phaser for those lots ..ZAP!

AS long as reports keep coming in like this we are going to see lawmakers looking to ban sales of the lasers and we need to do something but @!#@!#!# here online..
I have no time due to work but can post and help some who want to contact lawmakers .. I have walked the halls of the Calif state capitol many of time fore other causes and I know how to dig in and get to fighting but the first step is find the right people and to get them on your side and its starts with education of the facts.

CC

The sellers at flea markets will do anything for a sale. I completely went off on one guy trying to sell a couple "5mW" greenies to a family because he told them they could "even hit airplanes with them". I told the family that they were most likely over-spec and could be dangerous to their eyes. I also told them that it was a federal offence to shine lasers at airplanes. They still bought the lasers (for $20 each: total ripoff) but at least they were a tiny bit informed about them.

mmykle

As laser hobbyists/enthusiasts we could voice our opinions pretty well. What we might have trouble with is funding, people like "Jayrob, Yobresal, Ehgemus, Mohrenberg et. al." don't have the money to take time out of their day to fight for our rights.

However, the people that do have money and share our interests are the companies that manufacture different hand-held lasers. It's just a thought, but people with contacts with those companies could look into their financial backing of our cause. Wicked Lasers, Laserglow, Novalasers are just a few companies that might help us out.

As laser hobbyists/enthusiasts we could voice our opinions pretty well. What we might have trouble with is funding, people like "Jayrob, Yobresal, Ehgemus, Mohrenberg et. al." don't have the money to take time out of their day to fight for our rights.

However, the people that do have money and share our interests are the companies that manufacture different hand-held lasers. It's just a thought, but people with contacts with those companies could look into their financial backing of our cause. Wicked Lasers, Laserglow, Novalasers are just a few companies that might help us out.

The problem with this is they are all chinese for the most part Or just resellers of chinese products. They would still be considered foreign lobbyists.

We need representatives who are actually from the US, and are part of the hobbyist community.

madog

I think he was suggesting that we solicit some cash from those asian companies, however unlikely it may be to actually get anything from them.

One of the things many can do is to contact your local news people who will report on this story tonight offer facts not fiction and help them understand that not every laser is not unsafe just that some our using them unsafely.. Offer to do a demo and show them there are real reason for say a green laser to used and to pointed into the clear sky. DO NOT SEND THEM HERE.. reason is we set up for hobby site not to educate and with all the sales and links we would leave this site open to some who would want to take legal action or to just cause problems for some .
If we could find a site that we could refer news people to and to educate them that would be best but nothing with ads or links to sell them . My wife look at the news i posted here and she the numbers are not up that high and the story is misleading and said it looks more like they just making more fear for those who fly and to scare them into supporting new laws and banning of lasers ..

CC