Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I want to build my first laser, is this video a good start?

StizzelCizzel

I've spent the past days researching a lot about that sort of stuff, and decided I want to build the laser in the video, is this a good idea for a beginner?
Also, I'm going to use a 2W 445nm diode.
I know that is an extremely powerful laser for a beginner, but I've taken my time to research safety, including buying eagle pair glasses.

diachi

Anything from Styropyro is good, he's a member here. Perhaps he'll chime in.

StizzelCizzel

Anything from Styropyro is good, he's a member here. Perhaps he'll chime in.
I've been watching his videos for about 4 years now, and I've always loved them, but I only decided I would actually try to make one a couple of days ago, I hope he responds, cause ima massive fan of him.

Encap

Making a laser diode function is just a matter of connecting a + and - wire from a driver to it---extremely easy about the same as making a light bulb work--just connect appropriate power source to it.
You are not making a laser really just assembling the peripherals to suit-- a, driver, a housing, a heat sink or whatever depending on what form factor host you want, how much run time, battery or AC transformer powered and so on for your purpose etc.

Keep in mind you can buy a complete 2000mW 445/450nm unit on eBay for $45-$50 including shipping these days so...
See: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=2W+blue+laser

StizzelCizzel

Making a laser diode function is just a matter of connecting a + and - wire from a driver to it---extremely easy about the same as making a light bulb work--just connect appropriate power source to it.
You are not making a laser really just assembling the peripherals to suit-- a driver, a housing, a heat sink or whatever depending on what form factor host you want, how much run time, battery or AC transformer powered and so on for your purpose etc.

Keep in mind you can buy a complete 2000mW 445/450nm unit on eBay for $45-$50 including shipping these days so...
See: htts://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=2000mW+blue+laser&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=2W+blue+laser
I know, but I honestly wanted to try to assemble one myself from scrap parts, kinda to familiarize myself with basic electronics.

Encap

I know, but I honestly wanted to try to assemble one myself from scrap parts, kinda to familiarize myself with basic electronics.

Good luck with that.

There are a lot of members here who will pitch in with explanations and/or which way to do if you get stuck in a corner.

Please, however, make a Welcome post if the Welcome sub-forum .

Last edited:
I thing some of this videos on youtube could be dangerous imagine if a 10y old kid builds a laser watching this video !!
Then you have parents come after you !!! Need to age restrict it to 18+ :unsure:

That uses the old ML101U29 diode. You can buy these for under $3.00 or ten for ~$20.00. If you want a better 650nm laser, try the LPC840 diode. I have gotten them up to 400 mW. One of those diodes will cost you ~$13.00 new. Maybe less by now.

Considering your age and the lack of experience that comes with it, you will likely lose diodes on your way to building your own. For that reason it would be better to restrict your endeavors to the least expensive diodes until you become more familiar with the necessary precautions needed when putting these things together.

I'm not trying to slam you, just trying to give you some valuable advice. How much actual building of anything electronic have you done so far? It takes time to learn this stuff and failures are the main way we learn.

diachi

Considering your age and the lack of experience that comes with it, you will likely lose diodes on your way to building your own. For that reason it would be better to restrict your endeavors to the least expensive diodes until you become more familiar with the necessary precautions needed when putting these things together.

I'm not trying to slam you, just trying to give you some valuable advice. How much actual building of anything electronic have you done so far? It takes time to learn this stuff and failures are the main way we learn.

Seconded, start out with cheaper diodes. Diodes are easy to kill and you'll make some mistakes when you're starting out. Nothing to do with your age, I'd tell anyone to start off with cheaper diodes until they have some practice. Your wallet will thank you.

Encap

PS
Now that the cat is out of the bag that you are only 15 years old >>>>>>:
Always observe proper safety procedures and practices when doing anything with a laser or laser related. High output lasers are not children's entertainment toys> Don't be an accident looking for a place to happen.
Get your parents permission on what you are doing and help ordering anything you need as well,
You are a minor and anything you do they are responsible/liable for. Any harm that comes your way or anyone else's due to your activities. is your parents legal fault and responsibility--they are liable and responsible for you.
Generally most USA web sellers will not sell you diodes and/or help a minor.
Is especially, help a minor who has no idea of what he is doing to create a potentially very dangerous device which can blind a person.
and you are a minor so.... fill your parents in and get their OK.
Why? Imagine the time , expense, and sacrifice endured to raise a child for 15 years only to have him blind himself due to "helpers" anonymous on a internet site encouraging and enabling the activity. Not a pretty picture nor responsible behavior all around.
Legal liability for damages situation if any occur belong to whom?

Under the Terms of Use of the LPF web site which every member has to agree to, you need to be and say you are 18 in USA and represent that you have the capacity as an adult to agree for many reasons among them legal liability.
see: https://laserpointerforums.com/help/terms/ :
LPF Terms of Use says in item #3:
"3. Eligibility
You must be the age of majority as that is defined in your jurisdiction to visit or use the Website in any manner. You represent and warrant to Laser Pointer Forums that You have reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction, and that You have the right, authority and capacity to agree to and abide by this Agreement. You also represent and warrant to Laser Pointer Forums that You will use the Website in a manner consistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations."

Not that you will be bounced off of LPF automatically but attempt to be a responsible person and respectful child ...get your parents approval so at least some responsible adult is involved in what you intend to do.

Last edited:

Coonie

At 15 years of age he/she is classified as a teen rather than child, however even still it's impossible to determine what teen can or cannot handle making a high powered laser as everyone is different. There are some teens that have grown up learning about this stuff and can actually teach a few things while others are possibly still playing with toys. My grandmother used to call them late bloomers. Some are some aren't.
I like styropyros content but sometimes it bothers me how so many kids see his creations and want to do the same thing because it's "cool". I think sky diving and scuba diving is awesome but I'm old enough to know that I will need to take some classes on safety and instruction before I would do it. Young teens and children usually do not have this common sense yet which is really necessary to build and operate something like a laser.

Anthony P

I recall installing a dishwasher for a customer whose children were home-schooled and highly intelligent. The young boy was fascinated by the mechanics of the device and asked how he could learn to do what I do. His mother mentioned trade schools and I made the comment that there is no substitute for experience. Without missing a beat the boy looked at me and said "Tony, I'm five... I don't have any experience."

I will never forget my first laser build it was in 94/95 i was like 12 or 13 i watched james bond then i learned my desktop had a CD-Rom i took it apart and turned the pc on then i moved the lens on the diode closer and i adjusted the potentiometer and wow i made a high power laser haha when i was a kid i would take everything a part and try to build robots :alien:

StizzelCizzel

Seconded, start out with cheaper diodes. Diodes are easy to kill and you'll make some mistakes when you're starting out. Nothing to do with your age, I'd tell anyone to start off with cheaper diodes until they have some practice. Your wallet will thank you.
What diode would you recommend? I live in Germany, and thus don't have access to most Us Vendors, and I'm not sure it'd be smart to buy one off eBay...