Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I wanna make a host out of Damascus steel for a 450nm 7w

-UnkownOne

I wanted to know if anyone can make one and how much will it be I will provide the steel

You don't want a host made out of steel. It has terrible thermal conductivity. A 7 watt diode puts out a great deal of waste heat that needs to be removed to the surrounding air. I would use aluminum which has much better thermal conductivity and possibly a copper core which has even better thermal conductivity. A steel host won't be able to absorb the heat well or move it to the surface where the air can carry it away.

I totally agree with what Paul said - with one additional thing - from what I hear, pattern-welded steel is not generally that fun to machine as it's got inconsistent hardness going from one layer to another. And I don't know what all of those material boundaries would do to thermal conductivity - but I can't imagine it'd improve it.

If you're dead set on this material - I hope you a) have deep pockets, and b) have realistic expectations, as a host for a laser needs to be functional as well as aesthetic, and Damascus steel unfortunately only fits the latter.

-UnkownOne

Yea I know that it has pretty bad conductivity but I was thinking of putting an extended copper heatsink inside, thinking that might work

Hi
Just make the battery tube and
The tail cap from the
Material . Then machine the heat sink from AL , AL with a CU core or full CU sink

Rich:)

-UnkownOne

The problem is I don't have a machine to cut that is why I was asking for the price

You're unlikely to get anyone quoting you for a job unless you have some kind of drawing of how you want it to be - think dimensions, size of materials, etc. A damascus host is also going to be expensive as you end up wasting the hollowed out metal in the centre - and the starting material is pricey.

If you want one of the experienced machinists on the forum to take a look they'll want to know what you want in some detail before they commit

I think a damasteel host would look amazing, but its terrible for venting the heat from lasers. Have you thought about maybe a different damascus material?
There's a brass+copper mokume out there that would be much much better for lasers, and it looks beautiful when polished :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Exactly, I started making a ring out of it but it accidentally cracked it when I tried to finish it :cry:
It was beautiful too.

EDIT:
Be very careful should you decide to use a material like copper+nickel silver damascus. When you mix metals such such as silver(noble) and copper(base) the base metal will erode away due to chemical reactions between your skin and the material.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: GSS