Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I think im getting addicted to lasers!

myk

Hey, names Mike. New to the whole laser scene :). Just yesterday I found 2 AAA powered red laser pointers in my basement and started screwing around with them. Ive always wanted to make my own laser from a dvd-rw sled but never got around to it. Who doesnt want to burn things with lasers? haha. More realistically was thinking of just starting out with purchasing something in the 5mw range.

The ones I have are draper linear z4 5mw red's. I was thinking of getting a 5mw blue or green then maybe build my own higher powered one in the future.

Welcome to LPF! We've got tons of information in our faq's, stickies, groups, and searching the posts. You will find all the info you need for DIY builds, as well as diodes, drivers, optics, hosts, laser kits, heatsinks all available in the by/sell/trade and group buy sections.

Hello

I am about to begin work on a similar project for a client of mine. From what I can tell there will be significant overlap in terms of features.

Get out before it's too late! j/k , I love lasers and, I haven't spent too much on them, if you don't talk yo my wife. Best Wishes! -Glenn

530-light-sabers.jpg

Last edited:
Thats only the beginning
Once you start making them you wont be able to stop.
It goes like this

1.You scour the forums for things to buy or new projects to start
2. you order the parts and nervously wait for the stuff to arrive.
3. You build it
Then you have nothing left to do, so it starts all over again.;)

vk2fro

hehe welcome aboard

And when your done with diodes, you move on to gas lasers, big mean lasers that consume shedloads of power, need tonnes of forced air or water cooling, and some of them can set wood on fire from across the room (CO2 laser).

I'm just about to get an argon laser, cant wait!

Cheers
Ben

D

Deleted member 8382

Definetly a 5mW blue laser isn't a good idea for a starter rofl

Welcome to the forums!! i am quite new myself, just recently got into the whole laser stuff. You'll find loads of helpful, great information about lasers, all sorts of lasers. Pointers, handhelds, gas, diode... etc. any of the different forms of lasers that you can think of, we have information on it!! Soak up the info and enjoy your stay.

Thanks!!
Timmy