Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I think I goofed...guru help please! :)

Alrighty, first post so hello community!

I recently bought this laser from FastTech.

$8.54 5mW 532nm Stars Light Show Green Laser Pen - 3-mode laser effects at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

So I was enjoying it, watching youtube videos (downfall of many a noob I'm guessing), and decided to pop the front off. I didn't do any soldering or cooking a circuit, but I did decide to fiddle with this little screw on the back side of the circuit board.

Well turns out, at first, screwing that screw clockways just made the beam weaker. Went from very bright and visible beam, to a very dim dot with no beam. So, I opened it back up, screwed the screw counter clockwise (only a quarter turn from the original spot)...

Now all I'm getting is a red light inside of the device. I'm assuming that is IR light? Is this little pen broked, or is it fixable? Was really hoping to have this for my trip in 2 days. :(

TY everyone.

You fried your laser. DONT OPEN THESE UP! they are set from the factory at pretty much the max they can handle. What those youtube videos dont tell you is exactly what you found out, once you adjust the pot (thats what you turned) your laser wont last very long at all. buy another one and dont take it apart or buy a quality laser and enjoy that instead. keep in mind those small lasers put out anywhere from 30-100mW and 5mW is the safe limit for your eyes. anything over 5mW should be used with extreme caution and safety glasses. you can find safety glasses in the yellow link in my signature along with trusted laser companies if you are interested in buying a quality laser

safe lasing :D

Last edited:
Boo :( exactly what I didn't want to hear.

I wonder if there is anyone here from Richmond, VA that has one for sale...hmm. I NEEDS a laser for this trip.

Yes you did fry the laser.

I would throw it away immediately, the IR beam may be powerful enough to damage your eyes.

Trevor is also a stand up guy, you will be happy to deal with him if he has something that interests you :beer:

TY, I'm going to need it. If anyone else knows of a fellow RVA member please don't hesitate to get them to PM me! :D

Trevor

lazerman121 lives in town too, but he's in New Hampshire for the week, sooo... :p

Trevor