Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I request more yellow

diachi

Woah, I didn't know yellow was so complicated...

Depends how you do it I guess :D. I'm not sure, but I think the new 589nm CNIs probably use SHG ( Like a normal green ) to get the yellow, it would explain the increased power and stability that they have anyway ... ;)

Here is a 5W 577nm unit. (My iPhone doesn't show the color at all)

4233164210_74b2c7950c_b.jpg

And a little more...

4232392411_c8498fcfa6_b.jpg

I would REALLY like to know a little about that laser, like what is it? lol 577nm mw for mw should be marginally brighter than 532 so I'm quite curious...

D

Deleted member 8382

Wait, so yellow pointers emit a combinationof green and red at the end?

When you add wavelengths, you get an average between the two, I guess. It's really complicated.

hmm, kinda makes sense when you think about it. Because you have to conserve energy and momentum yadda yadda... like if a photon with an energy of 1 annihilates a photon with an energy of 9 you get 2 photons with an energy of 5, because the mass stays the same but you have to keep the same speed, if they combined it would be a photon going at 2x the speed of light or a photon with 2x the mass :confused:. It's the same principle behind one of those little ball-on-string contraptions. That is if I get this at all....

will

Last edited:
^If that were true, it would be impossible to attain 532 from 1064.

^If that were true, it would be impossible to attain 532 from 1064.

You're right. Dammit, I asked my physics teacher about this and he says these laws do not apply the same to photons. I guess that's why I used the :confused: smiley. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait to take wave phys. next year.

will

diachi

Sum-frequency generation (SFG) is an example of a second order non-linear optical process. This phenomenon is based on the annihilation of two input photons at frequencies ω1 and ω2 while, simultaneously, one photon at frequency ω3 is generated.

That sums it up nicely :)

D

Deleted member 8382

I doubt you study non linear optical processes next year unless you're in very advanced levels. At least I studied wave physics and light last year but of course nothing related to this xD

here's an overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_optics

Reading all that in English is a big pain in the ass for me :S

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt you study non linear optical processes next year unless you're in very advanced levels. At least I studied wave physics and light last year but of course nothing related to this xD

here's an overview: Nonlinear optics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reading all that in English is a big pain in the ass for me :S

Thanks, I'll check it out. And my advisor is the physics guy so he always teaches me stuff every morning, I pick up lots of equations and theorems.

will

EDIT: I just realized adding the frequencies gives you a different result than just adding the wavelength. Mind=blown. Thanks Hallucynogenyc!

Last edited:

diachi

Thanks, I'll check it out. And my advisor is the physics guy so he always teaches me stuff every morning, I pick up lots of equations and theorems.

will

EDIT: I just realized adding the frequencies gives you a different result than just adding the wavelength. Mind=blown. Thanks Hallucynogenyc!

It will, frequency and wavelength while related are still two different things. :whistle:I get what you mean ... the whole SHG/SFG thing involves stuff at quantum levels ... it's all very complicated, I didn't even read far into it due to it's complexity.