Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I quit

Kind words guys, thanks. DTR is sending a 16x 405 nm in a module with driver and lens all ready to go into your host - probably will mail today :)

My choice wouldn't have been this diode, but that's what he wants.

Caution; some thoughts on the "16X" BDR-209: This single mode laser diode has uber low divergence compared to most of our laser diodes at this power level. I know of no other laser diode which puts out the power this can produce with the uber low divergence this has using only a 6mm collimation lens. Due to being 405 nm, power for power compared to green, this laser only appears about one percent as bright to the eye, deceiving that it's weak when it is quite powerful. I've put my hand in front of the collimated beam from one of these diodes and it stings like a hornet, quite a sharp pain, unforgiving if hit in the eye, not sure if you would have as strong a blink response at this wavelength.

Even if you could blink as fast as a green diode would would make you, it would be useless as this diode will burn a hole in your retina in less than a millisecond.

I understand at these power levels wavelength and blink response won't save you, especially at this wavelength, but appearing so weak when it isn't causes me concern for anyone, before mine died (when pushed to near 900 mw output), I was very cautious with it and careful not to look at the spot it produced when within a few feet.

As long as there are no specular, collimated reflections, it shouldn't do any permanent damage to your vision. Even a high power green will only cause flash blindness which will clear in a few minutes.

I appreciate the advice and concern, but not to worry, I'm well versed and experienced with laser safety. I have an 80mW IR laser so I'm familiar with the hazards of an invisible and/or low apparent visibility laser. I would presume my safety glasses for a 445 would also work for 405?

Last edited:
Very generous offer from Alaskan - reps asap! Just be careful 405s are quite sensitive diodes and much more so than the 445s or 450s...If you have had lots of issues building, I’d recommend you try starting with something less likely to just die on you. Anyway your call.:beer:

I appreciate the advice. I have actually assembled a 405 module from ebay parts myself a long time ago. I used to constantly build electronics stuff, just I haven't really had the time and money too the past 2 years so I think I've gotten a bit rusty. But I will definitely handle the new module with the utmost of care.

Edit: The reason Im ordering a new 405 even though I have the one I built is that the one I built puts out a measly 30 mW. I really like the purple color of 405 and I've always wanted to see a higher power one.

Last edited:
Good luck with the build then. :) + 800 mW is very impressive! :beer:

Reactions: GSS
giphy.gif
Lol. I love it.

I killed a $1700 cpu by delidding that went bad.
Pissed isn't the word but I just took the boat out on a weekend cruise which cost twice the CPU in fuel alone (this was in 2011).
The relaxation was worth 10x the cost!

I just read this entire Thread.....:eek:
Here is my $0.02 Canadian....
You were more Pi$$ed at yourself for not paying
attention to what you were doing when you ripped
the leads of the LD.
That is no fault of the tools, equipment or parts you
used.

Sh&t happens... suck it up and move on...
As stated by other... we have all had to the "Diode Died"
scenario and I haven't seen a childish rant like yours
before on the Forum.
I myself have blown near $2000 worth of Laser Diodes
we use in the shop since joining LPF.

That being said....
The members here have been supportive with Alaskan
financing a new diode.
FYI... 405nm Diodes a very sensitive to ESD. Much more
than other wavelengths as Grained pointed out.

Good luck with your build... I have a few low powered
PHR803T 405nm diodes I could let you have for building
procedure tests before you tackler the 1 W 405nm.

I'll even pay for the shipping... Just PM me your address
if your interested...

Jerry

Last edited:
I killed a $1700 cpu by delidding that went bad.
Pissed isn't the word but I just took the boat out on a weekend cruise which cost twice the CPU in fuel alone (this was in 2011).
The relaxation was worth 10x the cost!

Just curious, what CPU costing that much in 2011 were you trying to delid?? By that time, the high end platform was still soldered, no point on delidding (unlike the actual X299)

Just curious, what CPU costing that much in 2011 were you trying to delid?? By that time, the high end platform was still soldered, no point on delidding (unlike the actual X299)

Xeon X5690. As if 4.66GHz at 1.34V wasn't enough. :D

My latest project is a 7980XE that will do 5GHz but needs delidding to stay under 100C and a monoblock to keep the VRMs from catching on fire! :D