Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need to find out the specification on my laser.

To make a long story short, I owned a green, <5mW laser pointer for pointing at stars and such. But it was in a cheap case so it broke after about a year. My grandmother wanted to replace it for Christmas, and I'm not sure what type of laser this is.

I know for a fact that it's 450nm, but I'm not sure what the wattage is. It's from an eBay listing where it's advertised as a 1W laser, but I don't know how trustworthy that is.

I'm on a High School Robotics team, and the head coach is the Head of the Physics Department at the local college; most of his work involves lasers and/or plasma in some way. When I told him about the laser, he was very skeptical, "Unless you have to plug the laser into the wall to use it, there's no way it's 1W."

The laser itself seems to be rather powerful, it can burn through most thin dark materials, and will put burn marks on the surface of wood.

Any advice or knowledge in helping to identify the laser is appreciated. Also is there different values of a laser that would be measured in watts? Like output strength vs power draw? That might explain the contradictions in what I've been told the laser is.

diachi

The head of your physics department is wrong. We've got handheld, battery operated lasers that exceed 7W.

I'd go with it being 1W, given the description and the fact that it can burn wood. It's impossible to tell accurately without a calibrated laser power meter, but it's definitely far more powerful than 5mW.

Do you have appropriate laser safety glasses to use with this? 1W presents a serious eye hazard.

"Unless you have to plug the laser into the wall to use it, there's no way it's 1W."

3ZojApE.gif

I find these physics profs that offer wrong information to be a blight on the science. One would certainly hope that someone who is supposed to be experienced with lasers to offer more accurate information.

Last edited:

Encap

How do you imagine anyone could identify it from the information you have given??? :crackup:

There are dozens if not hundreds of different 1W lasers.

A picture or link would be a good idea if you actually want help identifying something.

Please make a Welcome post in the Welcome sub-forum and indicate your global location in your profile

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
To make a long story short, I owned a green, <5mW laser pointer for pointing at stars and such. But it was in a cheap case so it broke after about a year. My grandmother wanted to replace it for Christmas, and I'm not sure what type of laser this is.

I know for a fact that it's 450nm, but I'm not sure what the wattage is. It's from an eBay listing where it's advertised as a 1W laser, but I don't know how trustworthy that is.

I'm on a High School Robotics team, and the head coach is the Head of the Physics Department at the local college; most of his work involves lasers and/or plasma in some way. When I told him about the laser, he was very skeptical, "Unless you have to plug the laser into the wall to use it, there's no way it's 1W."

The laser itself seems to be rather powerful, it can burn through most thin dark materials, and will put burn marks on the surface of wood.

Any advice or knowledge in helping to identify the laser is appreciated. Also is there different values of a laser that would be measured in watts? Like output strength vs power draw? That might explain the contradictions in what I've been told the laser is.

So... you had a Green <5mw Laser that you
say is 450nm.... and think it's a powerful Laser
because it burns stuff...:thinking::thinking:

You seem to have answered your own question.

It would be nice if you introduced yourself
in the Welcome section for new members and
told us a little about your self.

It would also be helpful to the Forum members
if you also included your Global location in your
Member Profile.

Members are more likely to help someone they
know a little about and may feel they are more
credible..

Jerry

Last edited:

diachi

So... you had a Green <5mw Laser that you
say is 450nm.... and think it's a powerful Laser
because it burns stuff...:thinking::thinking:

You seem to have answered your own question.

It would be nice if you introduced yourself
in the Welcome section for new members and
told us a little about your self.

It would also be helpful to the Forum members
if you also included your Global location in your
Member Profile.

Members are more likely to help someone they
know a little about and may feel they are more
credible..

Jerry

The green laser broke ("I owned", "It broke after a year"), it was replaced by a 450nm laser (assuming OP is correct and it is in fact blue/450nm).

The green laser broke ("I owned", "It broke after a year"), it was replaced by a 450nm laser (assuming OP is correct and it is in fact blue/450nm).
Has not yet from what I read...:)
I don't see where it was already replaced..

"My grandmother wanted to replace it for Christmas,"

He's talking about a Green <5mW Laser and in the next
sentence states that he knows for a fact it's 450nm...

Jerry

Last edited:
Just to clear up confusion: The <5mW green laser is broken and has been replaced by a 450nm (blue) laser.

Link for the laser: https://www.ebay.com/itm/450nm-1W-B...%3Ab8659e2c15e0a9cb1bed4db9fff328d5%7Ciid%3A1

In terms of eye protection, I was going to order some color tinted acrylic and cut custom sized lenses on a CNC router for a pair of goggles I already own. I already have some red acrylic but if that doesn't work to my satisfaction I'll buy some specifically for this wavelength laser.

As for my Coach, he's been working with lasers for over 30 years, so I'm kind of doubtful that he would be misinformed on what wattage the laser functions at. Is there any chance he was referring to a different aspect of the laser?

I'm new to the forums, so I still don't quite how it all works, I'll do my best to supply more information on my profile.

diachi

Just to clear up confusion: The <5mW green laser is broken and has been replaced by a 450nm (blue) laser.

Link for the laser: https://www.ebay.com/itm/450nm-1W-B...%3Ab8659e2c15e0a9cb1bed4db9fff328d5%7Ciid%3A1

In terms of eye protection, I was going to order some color tinted acrylic and cut custom sized lenses on a CNC router for a pair of goggles I already own. I already have some red acrylic but if that doesn't work to my satisfaction I'll buy some specifically for this wavelength laser.

As for my Coach, he's been working with lasers for over 30 years, so I'm kind of doubtful that he would be misinformed on what wattage the laser functions at. Is there any chance he was referring to a different aspect of the laser?

I'm new to the forums, so I still don't quite how it all works, I'll do my best to supply more information on my profile.

Buy proper laser safety glasses for the wavelength you need, don't go with coloured acrylic. The Eagle Pair from Survival Lasers are certified and reasonably priced, many members here have tested them and they've proven reliable.

No, your coach is misinformed. Obviously he hasn't been keeping up to date on some of the advances made in semiconductor technology over the last several years.

Last edited:

diachi

This is the acrylic I planned on using: https://jtechphotonics.com/?product=445nm-laser-shielding . Will this not work as eye protection or is it meant as basic shielding?

Ahh, that's actual laser safety rated acrylic, not just some random coloured acrylic. That would work, though I'd still recommend just going for a proper set of laser safety glasses. The Eagle Pair are also available with a wider wavelength range and higher OD (Optical Density, the amount by which incident light is attenuated for a given wavelength), making them useful for a wider range of lasers as well as higher powers.

https://www.survivallaser.com/Eagle...ard_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p556088_2780808.aspx

See this site for a short explanation of optical density: Laser Standards - NoIR LaserShields

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The first time I showed my 1 watt A140 build to one of the engineers here @ work he very bluntly called bullsh*t on my claim of 'just over a watt of output'. He was wearing shorts so I dotted him on the leg. He became a believer very quickly. :whistle:

Not the preferred method of proving the optical power of a laser. I would hate to see some newcomers take this seriously and try to replicate your "proof", WizardG.

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Not the preferred method of proving the optical power of a laser. I would hate to see some newcomers take this seriously and try to replicate your "proof", WizardG.

You're not wrong Paul'. This was the same week I first got the thing and I hadn't yet developed proper respect for these high power handhelds.

Definitely NOT recommended that you try this at home kids.