Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need short wave ultra violet laser!

I am still looking for portable affordable 266 nm laser with <70 mw and < 5 mw and I can not spent $1100+ Are there any possibilities plans or home mades?

scopeguy20 said:
I am still looking for portable affordable 266 nm laser with <70 mw and < 5 mw and I can not spent $1100+   Are there any possibilities plans or home mades?

You're not gunna have much luck finding a 266nm in the price range, and even less luck trying to make your own. However if you're in the mood for a project, you'll want to do som research on "free air nitrogen lasers". Not sure if you can get the power you want, but you can make a homemade UV laser that way well within your budget.

L

likewhat

What about frequency quadrupling one of those SSY1 yag lasers I keep hearing about. I dont know how fast you can reprate them but they would be easy to get a lot of 266 nm light out of because they are so high power.

Aseras

the ssy1 is still a plused laser, and it would be easier to build a nitrogen laser like I said earlier than to make a ssy1 go to FHG ( 4th harmonic 266nm ).

Re: Thanks for all the thinking (outside the box)

thanks for the ideas, guy, I think a nitrogen laser peaks a little too long a wavelength, but, there may be doubling may be possible, anybody know the chances with a BBO?

Picture of a diode non-laser with 365 nm about 250 mw thats some UV coming out of a single diode!

Attachments

• 365_nm_diode.jpg
    365_nm_diode.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 183
likewhat said:
What about frequency quadrupling one of those SSY1 yag lasers I keep hearing about. I dont know how fast you can reprate them but they would be easy to get a lot of 266 nm light out of because they are so high power.

You supply the cost of the materials, I'll supply the labor :D

If you have an old computer monitor it will cost free. Google "free air tea laser"

I have recently read that, the most germicidal wavelength, the one that does the most DNA damage is 286 nm. Can anyone here confirm or give more inf.? :-/

ixfd64

I don't think you'll be able to find a portable UV laser, let alone one in that price range, as UV lasers are extremely inefficient and expensive. For example, Coherent's 266 nm laser requires about 1.3 kW of power in order to output 200 mW of 266 nm light. Plus, the entire laser is the size of a large suitcase.

Kw as in electrical energy, or as in pump energy? If you're referring to the former, an argon Ion isn't any better.