Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need a laser.

I don’t know much about lasers so I’m hoping you can help me figure out what I need. I checked the FAQ. But It really didn’t help me much.

I’m a miniature wargamer and I’m looking for a laser I could use to check the line of sight between the little models we use as gaming pieces.
The laser would have to be able to reach up to about 10ft making an easily visible dot about 5mm in dia. or smaller. It would also have to be able to be used on and off over a period of 3 to 5hrs without dying.
The smaller and safer the unit the better as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

For what you describe, all you need is a simple, inexpensive keychain laser pointer.
Check your local dollar or 99 cent stores. -If you don't have one near you, find a pet store, they sell them as cat toys for about $5 bucks.

If you want to get a little more fancy, buy an inexpensive laser level. These have tripod mounts and can switch from projecting a dot to projecting a straight line. They cost a little more, but I've seen them from $5 to $10 dollars. (be sure to buy the cheap one, the more expensive ones do a lot more than you need and can cost over a hundred dollars).

17266-KeyChainLaser-WhiteBack-200p.jpg

11181.jpg

product1_16269.jpg

I am thinking thet it would be useful if the beam came out at 90 degrees to the body of the laser as it would be easier to hold it upright next to a figure....I can think of ways of doing it if need-be

Regards rog8811

Thanks.
All the places around here that sell them have the kind that look like a pen. I’m afraid they would be too long for what I need. One on a key chain like that might just work. But if I could get something that came out at 90 degrees that would probably be the best.

Reactions: ARG
Good suggestion ROG ;) Were you thinkin' of using a small prism from old sled optics for bending the laser beam 90 Degrees ?

Were you thinkin' of using a small prism from old sled optics for bending the laser beam 90 Degrees ?
I LOL'ed when I read that, you are a mind reader phoenix :)

Regards rog8811