Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

i may just retire from lasers

darklandz said:
ok guys a quick update on my eye test results-
the optician said im "short-sighted" and that i now need to wear glasses  :eek: i never thought i would live to see this day - i had such perfect vision, im still in shock.
however on the positive side of things, she couldnt see any retinal or nervous damage to the eye so im really pleased about that. i waited until after the test to tell her that its lasers that may have played a part behind my bad vision. (i wanted to wait until after the test so i could hear her side of things before breaking the ice on her about lasers).
she claims, the lasers did "not" damage my eyes as she saw no internal damage. i was told, exposure to laser radiation does not result in being short-sighted, but retrinal burns (which i seem to have avoided)
i told her how dim lights at night seem very bright to me. she said something about my eyes seeing it differently and having to compensate enough light to see it or something along those lines.  :-?
basically, if i wear glasses at night, they would ease the brightness down so it wouldnt appear really bright.
then it was a matter of choosing the frames - the only ones that would fit me cost around $260.
so as far as lasers go, i havent touched a laser for a few days on the trot now, and will only use them rarely unless its important.
you guys be careful with your lasers.
Oh god, I hope this doesn't happen to me...

I recently noticed a tiny blind spot in my field of vision, it was kind of weird at first. I don't know whether it came from lasers though. It is very hard to notice :eek:

tomcat

yay your not a blind man anymore :p

i have 20:20 vision but i do have a floater in my right eye but its hardly noticible unless it crosses my main viewpoint (shines laser into eye burns floater+ half of retina) damn its worse now :p

jk

I did notice after looking at some bright laser dots (on a wall) that my eyes felt kind of sore, and focusing wasn't as easy. I believe it might have to do with your eye trying to focus on that bright single point, which flares out and is hard to focus on, so it really tires the retina. The same kind of thing can happen with dim lighting. After some rest it went away.

After reading this though, I'm feeling pretty good about those safety goggles I invested in. My eyesight is already bad as it is (started from age 6), with -8.0 and -7.5 corrective powers in my left/right eyes respectively. If you do decide to return to the fold, get some good goggles you grab for general use like the OEMLaserSystems ML7.

diachi

Glad to hear its not laser damage!

I wonder if lights appear really bright to me at night without my glasses on...

-Adam