Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I love Rayfoss hosts.

aXit

That's the only way to get in it. You take off the front that covers the lens, then take off the tail cap, and use a vice to press against the flat surfaces of the front of the module and the back of the battery tube. Still doesn't go in straight though. -_-

I'm confused. How does it not go straight in? Can I see some pictures?

Green lasers, especially modules, don't always leave the module perfectly straight. At least the ones I've used don't.

aXit

The sleeve for the press fit itself is only about 5mm high, the rest is about 14mm diameter.

It's very hard to get it to line up inside that widened sleeve. And yeah, the fact that modules don't project straight doesn't help.

aXit

It would be nice, considering the decent waterproofing; but there just isn't a way to simply mount a diode module. The actual press fit sleeve is too far down for just the diode pocket, and I doubt heatsinking would be good if it was mounted by the end of the long back cap.

aXit

Not necessarily, if you've ever opened up a module like that, the diode and crystals are all very close to the back, the rest is just open space after the beam expander to the main objective lens.

Yes, but it would be better if it held more than half a cm. That's a good explanation as to why their duty cycles are so short.

aXit

Ok, it's closer to 7mm, and to be honest, I think that 2.5cm^2 of solid metal to metal contact (and believe me, when I did once manage to get the module out, the sides were gouged out, it really is a tight fit) is plenty for even a 200mW module (3W of heat max).

The duty cycle on rayfoss for their 200mw model is only 60 seconds. For me that's not really plenty. A host of that size should be able to handle atleast 2minute duty cycles. This also could explain why their 200mw model is so unstable. Don't get me wrong I love these hosts I'll probably end up getting one eventually, but they could be better.

aXit

I've run my 150mW for up to 5 minutes, with the host barely getting over body temperature... Once.

Hmm maybe your right. It could just be a problem with the module. Where did you get your module from?

aXit

It was a rayfoss module. Being my first laser (apart from a battery box and a 10mW o-like) I decided to just have it working when I got it.

It's quite stable, I've modified it with a LDO negative voltage regulator, the module circuitry its getting a constant and very stable 3V input; and I get to use li-ion batteries.