Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I gotz me a new toy!! hehehe ....

Things

Um yeah, I saw the vid with the pliers too! That arc could easily jump out and grab him, no probs. Since I already have a NST (Still dangerous, but about 78X less dangerous than this thing), I will just stick to that for HV. If I get shockec by the NST (Which I already have.... there was a aweful lot of swearing going on after that), atleast the chance of death is not as likely. Touch the MOT, = dead for sure!

I am quite curios to what I can do with like 671 amps, tho I havent even started dissecting the secondary yet :-X

With 671 amps and you could make a bitchin electromagnet :) Just don't fire it up near a computer ;)

brtaman said:
With 671 amps and you could make a bitchin electromagnet  :) Just don't fire it up near a computer  ;)

Or you could hook up the magnetron and a waveguide to make a HERF [smiley=laugh.gif]

Things

Oops, ive already ripped the magnetron for magnets LOL!

Anyone got any ideas as to how I could get the secondary off? I need to leave the primary coil (The bottom coil) intact, but I need to completely remove the secondary.

Maybe you can come in here, Mario? :)

NOOOOO, another perfectly useful magnetron destroyed... You seriously shouldn't take it apart. From what I hear, the ceramic insulators sometimes contain beryllium oxide which will seriously screw you over...

Things

Theres nothing really usefull that you can use the magnetron for anyway, if I wanted to make a microwave gun, i'd have to get some special made parabolic reflectors, which will cost a fair bit of money.

Things said:
...I am quite curios to what I can do with like 671 amps, tho I havent even started dissecting the secondary yet  :-X

You can make a spot welder!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp7JF2sANsw
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Spot-Welder/

Most people take the secondary off with a dremel or some sort of small saw, I think that's covered in the instructable.. I've even seen people string several of these together to make an arc welder, but to get a usable amount of current you need about a half a dozen microwaves.

Good luck!

Things

Oh man, this thing running by itself @ 2A 2kV already started melting little pits in the transformer core LOL

diachi

Hey, does anyone know how I would go about powering this Transformer, I got it from a PC PSU .

thanks,

-Adam

Attachments

• IMG062.JPG
    IMG062.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 111

ArRaY

These transformers are not ment for high voltage...
Look up wikipedia atx power supply or something like that.
Do you know its specs?

/me

diachi

Nope, it has a laser inside the box now ;)

Not that it matters, I was just wondering If I could power it. And If I could how to go about it :)

thanks,

-adam

ArRaY

Diachi said:
Nope, it has a laser inside the box now  ;)

-adam

Best improvement that was possible.
If I think about it, name me one thing where adding a laser is no improvement ;D

/me

ArRaY said:
[quote author=Diachi link=1219922495/20#27 date=1221250946]Nope, it has a laser inside the box now ;)

-adam

Best improvement that was possible.
If I think about it, name me one thing where adding a laser is no improvement ;D

/me [/quote]

A chicken sandwich...

Things

That little transformer is most likely just a tiny stepdown transformer. Since the PSU's are switchmode, they run at a higher frequency, so the transformer can be smaller. They are designed to run on high frequency, not all that useful.