Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I could use a little help

Hey, I'm new here and new to lasers, and just have a few questions. I tried to find answers on my own, and I spent a good bit of time reading alot of threads, and learned quite a bit, but I do have a few questions and I would rather get answers from someone who knows what they're doing rather then me just reading stuff online that I don't completely understand, and assuming it would work. I understand the basics of a laser and correct me if I'm wrong, you have a diode that emits the beam, the lens to focus the beam, a moduel that holds the diode and lens, a heat sink to absorb heat away from the diode, a driver to provide a constant current/voltage, the power source, and a host to hold it all. I want to build a 445nm 1w laser and I found parts online and although I kinda understand everthing I need, I want to make sure that all of the parts are compatible, or if anyone reading this has any parts to suggest I would be greatful. I found this and it seems like a pretty good deal: AixiZ 445nm laser module assembly kit (no diode) | eBay

Basically I am wondering if this is actually worth getting and if so which diode and other components would work well with this. I am also aware of some of the safety risks involved in building this particular laser, such as I shouldn't go near this thing without glasses on. Also since I'm new to lasers I was wondering about any of the details of building that may seem like common sense to you that I might not know. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks

That's a bit much for that driver + module. You can get it cheaper from a site like O-like.

Also, while the driver you linked to will probably work, I would get a kit from the Pro Shop forum. The reason is that what you've linked to is just the driver and module. You still need the host, heatsink, and diode to get things to work. Some kits, like those from FlamingPyro has all those components except the diode itself, and you'll probably end up paying about that much anyway.

A good place to buy the needed diodes is DTR's shop (the link sinner provided above).

Thanks for the help guys. So basically I'm looking at a diode from the site sinner posted and definitely the driver from the O-like site. The shorter the module the better for the space I would like to put it in, so I'm wondering if it would be better to get the diode with a module from the DTR shop because it has leads already attached, or getting just a diode from the DTR shop and getting a module and lens from the O-like shop. Also im not sure what is the best way to attach leads to the diode if I get just the module, since heat is an issue I assume soldering them is not the answer.

sinner

Follow DTR's tutorials and you'll have much better idea on what goes into building a complete laser..
Its not like you get all the parts required and you're done..
Getting the right parts to make a efficiently working laser is one thing, building them inside a flashlight is whole another game and your skills will matter the most.. Some people like most of us (geeks usually - lol no offense jk) get it right because of the basic knowledge and some use of their common sense.. for the rest , should READ all the info there is if you must have it right in the first go..

And good luck, keep safe with those suckers, they are freakishly bright!!

Alright, sounds like a plan. And I have a pretty decent grasp on electronic and building (a couple years and degree in electro-mechanical engineering lol) I just know how tempermental some components can be and dont want to spend twice as much in parts on my first build making dumb starter mistakes and getting the wrong parts. But like always I know the first build of anything never goes as planned. I appreciate the help and advice though. Its always good to be able to talk to people who have a background in the subject... And if anyone could recomend a pair of glasses to use with this I that would be great, haha dont want to look at this thing and have my face melt like im looking into the ark of the covenant

Ok, so im going with
Driver:
1W 445nm laser diode driver / 200mW 405nm laser diode driver [OL-445-D] - $12.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Diode:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes
(the one with leads and glass lens for $64)
Heatsink:
Copper Heat Sink | eBay

Any ideas as to having the driver and powersource in a different host than the diode and heatsink? Im working on a project and I would like to have all of my powersources and drivers in one place, and the laser in another

Use wires? Make sure there's some form of strain relief on the wires so they don't pull on the diode pins.

Haha wires, thanks lol... Sorry bad wording on my part I suppose, guess what I should have asked is if there are any special considerations for housing the driver and power source, i.e will are there any heat issues with storing that driver? Or just anything else I should be aware of?

If the driver allows you could use 2 CR123A batteries which would equate to the same length of 1 18650