Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I could hardly believe it...A PRACTICAL use for my burner.

Zeebit

500mA is a bit high. Some 12x diodes are a bit fragile. Better hope you will get a hardy diode.

Thanks Zeebit. I realize this. Most likely, I'll be going with one of Moh's Benboost drivers set at 478mA. I don't want to blow the doide, but I am done being as conservative w/ currents as I have been....MUST HAVE MORE POWER! :evil:

Heh, don't we all need moar powah? :D

But, instead of trying to push the diode to it's limits and risk breaking it, you may wish to invest into G1 or G2 lens for your needed wavelenght, they are expensive but surely provide a power boost without any downsides like reduced duty cycle, overall diode life or even instant LED. You never know when you get a diode that just doesn't feel like working on 500mA and then you're out by larger amount of money, than simply using lower current but G-2 lens to attain the wanted power.

It's what I'll do with the new 445nm, 1.8 Amps but with G2 I'm hoping for somewhere around 2.3W.

Yeah...My M-140 is using a 3-element right now. I chose the 3-element because of the M-140 diode's beam divergence.. I'm going to go ahead and spend the money for a good G-2 or maybe one of JayRob's G-1 lenses for the S06J. Since it is a single-mode diode, I think it will be worth the money.

In my personal experience I wouldn't recommend that 405nm diode for burning, or run it at 450ma either. They can be good for making a decent powered focusable laser for 405nm fun, but IMO the M140 and 9mm outclass the 405nm diodes for burning purposes.

I support you investing in a G2 lens though, they let so much more power through it's very worth it, I have single element lenses on all of my 445nm lasers.